Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'98 sporty needs new u-joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '98 sporty needs new u-joints

Its got about 3300 miles, not alot for a 98 but still things wear just with age. One of the rear (inner) u joints clicks when i brake, otherwise doesn't make any clicks. My first question is based on this small bit of info is it 'safe' to continue driving for a couple hundred miles (till spring) if i take it ez. ez meaning maybe i can run it in 4wd to spread the drive load and drive her with care (i don't mud, avoid water and generally just ride it rather tame on a deer lease-mostly grass and hard caliche roads). Or will i possibly encounter catastrophic failure or failure that would cause lots more damage/expense so I'd better fix now? I guess it would need all rear u-joints maybe front, yet those seem ok. I am moderately mechanically inclinded (but mostly have done just maintenance type stuff) but am not near as brave as some of ya'll. So can i do this work myself or should i seek professional help? I've searched this site for how to stuff, videos on youtube, no real luck. anyway any help or pointing in the right direction would be appreciated.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Trailblazer

Use your own judgement. I did mine this summer and there were no needle bearings left in the front. If you go 40mph just think about what could happen if you go over the bars. Got mine for about $15 apiece at NAPA. Soak the rear drive shaft splines with blaster or wd40. Spray them down a bunch of times before you do the joints to make it easier getting apart. I pop the front axles out of the CV joints without dismantling the hub assy. Makes it a lot easier.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

ok-so let me see if i got this straight. You are saying the failure could easily be catastophic with the system essentially locking up immediately thereby launching my butt forward really fast since there is no seat belt, right? If so, i will only putt-put around under say 15mph, even that may be too fast! i just want to make it to march before i take this on. I'd like to save myself some $$ but lack the confidence so am trying to find instructions. I've never even taken the rear wheel off! Not that i couldn't figure it out (i've changed water & fuel pumps on cars - thats probably my most complicated-i know not much!), but don't want to screw it up or have it cost me even more as a result. parts sound cheap at car parts store. hmmmm...

Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Trailblazer
Question Calling OPT on ujoints

Oh wise OPT (with respect!) I've looked at my rear ujoints more closely on my '98 sporty. Only the left inner appears slightly loose, as in it move about 1/32-all others are Tight, I have no real experience with ujoints so I don't know if that is tolerable (and can wait till spring) or if I'm playing with fire and should replace asap. Thoughts? DIY or should i take to an expert (and if so what is reasonable to pay for this job). Many thanks for all you do!!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you barely have play in the u joint I wouldn't worry about it right now.Just keep them greased until you decide to replace them. I've had em so worn out that have come into the shop that they drove sideways! One wheel drive shaft would grab before the other making for a weird ride.Plus I've had several snapped but no one was hurt that I know of. It's not that hard to replace if you have a simple bench vice or even a large c clamp. Hardest part is to make sure you keep the drive shaft orientation right. Here's a video on prop shaft u joints which are basically the same as the rear drive shaft u- joints,but on a smaller scale.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Smile OPT you made my holidays!

Thank-You very much for this info & all the help you provide everyone, your words and the video are a real confidence builder for novices like me! Happy Holidays!!