Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 500 still dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-1999, 11:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok i have disabled all the electonic items tat can make my wifes engine quit. when it dies and wont start i do have a good spark. i changed fuel pump but it does the same thing. it wii sputter an dcough and wont idle then dies. i put aclear fuel line on and it looks as though it dontlet alot of fues in. if i run the throttle in and out it starts to do the problem then dies and dont want to start spray fuel in carb mouth and it fires for a second help

Old 08-24-1999, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider

Remove the tank, drain it and check for debris clogging the hoses that run up in the tank. They have micro screens on them and some debris may be clogging them? Rinse it out, and let it dry. Refuel with fresh fuel, or "righteous gas" as Tree Farmer likes to call it . Try switching from both On and Res. and running it, making sure both lines are working. Are there any kinks in the lines that run from the tank to the On/Off/Res. switch?

If you have a good flow of fuel into the carb, the then remove it and check all your jets/needles. Also check the play of the throttle cable making sure that the slide does operate normally. I guess it will be trial and error, if these dont work let us know.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer

Old 08-24-1999, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

My scrambler500 died after I washed it one day. Take the air filter off and put your hand over the opening to the carb where the air filter connects. Try to crank it and see if it's sucking in air and see if any water shoots back into the airbox. If any water comes out then just unscrew the bottom of the carb to let it drain, then change your oil. Somehow my scrambler sucked in water to the carb and it would not crank. I took the carb out and tipped it over to drain it out, which didn't work. When I rode it, it was going good and then it started to sputter and bog down, I quickly moved the choke back and forth between off and halfway and tap the gas and it kinda cleared up. I knew something else was still wrong. I got home and with the carb still in, I unscrewed the very bottom of the carb which drained the float bowl (I think that's what it called) and then it worked perfect. So just unscrew the bottom of the carb and see if any water comes out with the gas. BTW cut off the gas before you drain it. I hope this works.

Later, Steve

Old 08-26-1999, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

may not be your problem but had one that would quit an not start until i took it to dealer then would start, anyway, choke cable was problem, too tight!

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 08-27-1999).]

Old 08-27-1999, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Had a dead cricket get in the fuel pickup on a dirt bike I had one time was about ready to junk the thing after changing everything on it and getting no results. Finally checked the tank and bingo there was the problem. He must have gotten into my gas can when I left the lid off.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-27-1999, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

thanx everyone i drained and cleaned the tank took the carb off and cleaned it inside an out and now it runs. i bypassed most of the electronics by unplugging 2 wires and when the machine would die i still got good spark so it must of been fuel related im taking the machine to the sand dunes in rexburg idaho laborday weekend. me and my wife have scramblers 400 and 500. if any of you are there stop by the playmor trailor.

Old 08-27-1999, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kagey, a tool actually exists for your problem (cricket fuel contamination), called a "Cricket Bat."

These wooden implements resemble fraternity "paddles" in shape; except Cricket Bats are larger than the plege-/freshmen-hazing torture tools, with handles permitting two-handed baseball-bat or axe-handle style grips.

I've seen "Cricket Bats" illustrated in catalogs for years; however, until your post, I had no idea of their intended application.

A skilled Cricket Bat user doubtless could keep your tank clear of crickets, as well as both larger and smaller insects.

Tree Farmer

Old 08-27-1999, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

Intresting concept Tree man. I thought I had taken care of the problem by putting the lid back on my gas can after I emptied it. I,ll look into it never knew there was a special tool for such a thing. HaHa

------------------
Kevin Gowdy AKA-Kagey1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 08-27-1999, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

I will keep my eye out for those dead crickets.

Mud600

Old 08-27-1999, 03:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to learn more about cricket bats, Kagey, unleash your web searcher on "cricket bats." Here is just one site with some pictures of actual cricket bats: http://www.ace-bats.com/

Tree Farmer