Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need Advice. Flipped New 2013 Polaris Scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice. Flipped New 2013 Polaris Scrambler

Hey everybody new to the forum and to ATV riding. I'm 30 and just bought my first ATV, of course I had to buy the best most powerful. Its the LE version with EPS. I have put 80 miles on it with no problems. This is not my first time riding an ATV just first time owning one. Long story short I'm in GA and was at my buddy's land and was racing around the dirt track in 2wd and hit some hard icy dirt (near river) and back end slipped and went sideways and the tires caught throwing me (300lbs) about 10 ft away. It completely flipped the Scrambler upside down tires in the air . Not too much damage on me or the ATV just a sore knee and some broken pieces. One handrail broke, bent and broke some plastic off the rear rack and dented a front part of the plastic which spidered the paint. While flipped over it continued to run for about 30 seconds and then cut off and had some oil pour out of it!? Maybe a quarter of a quart....We got it flipped over and took a break and gathered up the pieces and let it sit for a few minutes. I did ride it again for 30min no problem. Heres my question, did I do more damage to it then I can physically see? Is the oil that came out while upside down a significant bad thing? What should I check for? Or should I take it to a Polaris dealer and get them to check it out?

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 01-28-2014, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Oil coming out of a flipped quad is normal. There is a vent tube on a lot of quads that goes into the airbox. If you flip the quad, as you did, it's likely you'll see it leak in there. Wipe the airbox out well and top off the oil. If the air filter is saturated with oil I'd get a new filter. I don't see there being any more damage done to the engine itself. Give it a good visual inspection. Maybe others can add on anything they think of.