Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tire Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

You can get one of these adapters pretty cheap. Used it with a cheap pump more than a few times.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would work since the battery is easy to get to. Thanks
Never though a ATV would not have a DC outlet after the year 2000.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Fix a Flat saves my hide everytime

I ride over cactus all the time with quads and 4runner, any flat/leak is easily repaired with fix a flat. I don't find it messy, just screw on/off quickly. Let all air out first Then inflate. On atv tires i count to 15 and Done! Its cheap at wallymartinez, transports ez, don't need an extra tools and can even be used by my 20 yr old daughter - now that's good! p.s. I do understand larger punctures can require a plug (carry a package of those) or worse - new tire.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Fix a flat is a very messy thing to use. Tire slime, a patch kit and a co2 filler will work much better.

Something like this. There are other brands and styles too. Just an example of what's out there that is much better than fix a flat.
That's the same exact kit I have. I thought it only had 1 CO2 cartridge but I checked and there are 2. I used to carry fix-a-flat all the time but after several years and thousands or miles I was afraid it might wear a hole in the can, though I have had very good luck it. I even popped a tire back on the bead on my SUV. For small holes I think it's great but big holes will need plugs. And there's nothing wrong with using plugs then fix-a-flat.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default You are right-plugs & fix a flat can really work!

On an auto, awhile back i came across a lady with a flat. She had no spare and a puncture on the sidewall. I know any tire repair place would tell her she needs a new tire. She was desperate so I tried plugging the sidewall then used fix a flat. To my surprise it held. We tested it at low speed for a few miles then tried highway (she had 30 miles to go) and she called me later to say it got her home. Woohoo!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
That's the same exact kit I have. I thought it only had 1 CO2 cartridge but I checked and there are 2. .
Does one cartridge of Co2 fill a flat tire(ride-able), or does it take two?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't used it yet but one is supposed to fill a tire.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Used fix-a-flat few months back after I'd ran over a large tack somehow. Didn't find it messy at all and it sealed the puncture right up. I have a small air tank (bubble as some call it) I take with me when I trail ride. Harbor Freight has them at best prices (especially if you have a coupon). Had one from AutoZone from years ago but it always lost it's air after 2-3 days, this one I have now doesn't leak at all. If you are using those 12v pumps make sure your battery is up to snuff before.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer

Plugs and a can are sounding pretty good to me. I'll feel a whole lot better about those runs half way to nowhere now. Many thanks for all the input. Always appreciated.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I carry plugs and a foot pump that is small enough to fit on the front rack that is not takeing up much room but on the downfall if it pops loose from the rim its nothing to do then

Quick Reply: Tire Repair