Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

06 Polaris Hawkey 2x4 300 clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Polaris Hawkey 2x4 300 clutch noise

I am hearing a "whining" noise coming from the clutch cover on my wife's '06 Polaris Hawkeye 300 (2x4). I have recently changed the belt on it because I thought maybe the belt was rubbing, but that's not the case. There are no marks on the inside of the clutch cover to show that the old belt was rubbing anywhere. I cleaned all the dirt out of the cover, but didn't clean out the clutches. The noise is almost a grinding noise that can be heard when I push on the throttle and then let off. When I let off the throttle, the noise fades away and then can't be heard when it is at idle. I THINK (if I remember correctly) that it would even make the noise when it was in gear OR even if it was in neutral. It has been awhile since I have looked at it, but I don't think it made the noise when I had the clutch cover off. Anyone have any ideas because its driving me crazy. Thanks for any help. Here is a link on youtube that shows the sound its making.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Could be worn parts on the external drive/driven clutches or could be the centrifugal starter clutch bearing making the noise that's behind the drive clutch. Highly suggest a manual if you start taking this apart.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

2006 Polaris Hawkeye Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the post, OPT. Which part # is the centrifugal starter clutch bearing from the exploded diagram you sent me? I do have the service manual.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

#6. Could be that as it kinda sounds like a bearing whine or either something grinding in the front clutches.Those metal covers just radiate any clutch noise. Hopefully you wont have to go that deep to find the problem,but the manual is essential to have.

Old 03-12-2014, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I thought it was #6 but just wanted to make sure. Thanks for your help! I'll keep you updated after this weekend when I tear her apart.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

try checking the bearing mounted inside the drive cover it only takes some snap ring plyers and a few seconds to remove. imo its your drive clutch. ckeck to see if you have crap in the drive clutch finns or hanging out of the end of the front vent tube behind the drive clutch.

Old 03-12-2014, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by halffwolf
try checking the bearing mounted inside the drive cover it only takes some snap ring plyers and a few seconds to remove. imo its your drive clutch. ckeck to see if you have crap in the drive clutch finns or hanging out of the end of the front vent tube behind the drive clutch.
Yea,you're probably right! Forgot about this little bearing. Hopefully it's something simple as that making the noise. Only sold about a half dozen Hawkeyes to begin with,most came in for carb cleans,etc which was a pain the way these were set up. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2006&fveh=7108

Old 03-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Trailblazer

in a reply to one of my other threads there is a link to a full free service manual for the hawkeye the thread header is clutch weights hawkeye 300....from about 2 or 3 days ago.......

Old 03-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

I just took a listen to your video and you might want to check to see if your clutch weights are all in tact and the colored coating is not falling off. If it is thats the noise your hearing.......you must replace all the discs at the same time for balance if it turns out this is the case........

Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I haven't had the cover off since before the winter, but I am pretty sure I DON'T remember seeing a bearing inside the cover. There's a chance I missed it, but I did clean it out with a rag and am pretty sure I would have taken notice to it. If I have to replace the weights, are they expensive and hard to replace? I am still kinda new to 4 wheeling, but am somewhat mechanically inclined and I do have the manual. If it is the weights, is there anything else that I should replace along with the weights?
OPT - are the weights (and parts #s) listed on the diagram that you sent?
Again, all this help is appreciated and I look forward to getting after it this weekend.

Quick Reply: 06 Polaris Hawkey 2x4 300 clutch noise