Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 sportsman 500 wont turn over?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 12:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 sportsman 500 wont turn over?

Fixing a 2004 sportsman 500 for a friend, it wouldnt turn over, I have a full charged battery in it, just installed a new starter solinoid that he bought,the winch, lights and speedo and everything works fine, but it wont crank. I tried hooking up a battery charger directly to the positive on the starter, but still nothing. No turning, no clicks, nothing. I cant pull start it at the moment because the cord is snapped. Can anybody tell me what might be the problem? I will fix the pull starter and try that. The quad was sitting for about a year before and my friend told me all it was was a dead battery before. Could it be a fuse/breaker? If so, where are they located? Or maybe the starter is shot? Anything helps.
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have a good battery,power to the ignition switch,have lights,etc the main fuse is good. Make sure that you have power jumping from the solenoid battery wire post to the starter wire post when trying to crank,if not the small power wire(coming from the ign switch) may have a short or it may have a bad ignition switch,or problems with the left on/off emergency kill control switch/ wiring. Plus just jumping the solenoid posts can tell you if the starter is bad or not. Even a frozen/rusted starter bendix can keep a starter from working properly,but you should hear something.If you narrow it down to a starter,here's a cheap place to get one. I'd replace the bendix also so you wont have to go back into it again. DB Electrical - Sportsman Plus "tapping" a starter while trying to crank may "unfreeze" one for a little bit if it's been sitting up. Rusted spots on starter armatures from dirt/moisture can do this,but I'd replace one any way rather than tearing into it. Too cheap on new ones to have to do this unless you love to tinker with things.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

So I tried jumping the solenoid, and nothing. No noise from the starter. It made some sparks on the solinoid but thats it. Where is the main fuse located? Just so I can check it? And i fixed the pull starter and the rope snapped again first pull so I will try this again and see if it runs lol

Old 03-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

20 amp main circuit breaker is in a sealed plastic pouch just up from the battery. It sends power up to the switches,lights,etc. If the instruments,lights,etc are working then the breaker should be okay. To test one just see if the wire leading in and out of the pouch has 12 volts.Occasionally they can corrode and trip,but you'd lose power to the display,switches. Starter could just be completely frozen/rusted if all you get is sparks from the solenoid when jumping the posts.Plus you can pull the red cap back from the starter itself and see if the connection itself might be corroded,not making good contact.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

The connection is good, no rust or corrosion on the connection. When I pulled the cover off for the pull starter, there appeared to be a lot of rust underneath. The gear that comes out of the starter to crank the motor was rusty as well. That may be the problem. If that is whats keeping the starter from working, is their any way I can fix it? Otherwise i will buy one from that site. And thanks for the link to the starters. Very good prices.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the starter bendix (gear shaft) is rusted up and you cant get it to spin out and retract against the flywheel,this can bind up a starter also. You can just pull it out of the engine case(have to pull out and wiggle to the left a little) and then try using the electric start or jump the solenoid posts again to see if the starter works then. If it doesn't just replace them both.

Old 04-05-2014, 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I replaced the starter and the bendix, installed it all, and it still doesnt turn over when I turned the key. I jumped the solenoid, and then it turns over. But when I try use the key, nothing. Any idea what that is?

Old 04-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Atvfan19
Ok I replaced the starter and the bendix, installed it all, and it still doesnt turn over when I turned the key. I jumped the solenoid, and then it turns over. But when I try use the key, nothing. Any idea what that is?
Sounds like you may have a bad connection to the starter solenoid if it's new one. Again make sure when you use the key switch that power jumps to the starter side of the solenoid when you turn the switch. If not,could be a short in the small power wire leading from the ignition switch to the solenoid or an ignition switch problem itself.Plus never take a battery for granted. If in doubt have it load tested. May be all that it needs if it's an older one.