Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Idle issue

Hey guys, I'm new to all of this, including working on ATVs. I managed to repair one I purchased by tracing all electrical issues and dropping about 200 bucks on parts that I didn't need. Anyway, I'm learning as I go. I took the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly, it's running and idles decent at times.....but a lot of times it shuts off. I'm thinking it's the pilot screw in the very bottom middle of the carb. How many turns from all the way should I screw it out? Not sure of the correct terminology or lingo but I would like any helpful information you guys could give. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Best to rebuild a carb since once you take it off. Just cleaning a carb doesn't always solve the problem. The 325 Magnum,Trail Boss were set up lean for the most part from the factory and cold natured also. Fuel screw is under a block off plug in front of the fuel bowl. I've found several only 1/2 turn out or so and even one completely closed.Customer had to leave it on choke for several minutes to get it to run properly and try to idle. Block off plug can be drilled out carefully and a dry wall screw can pull out the plug exposing the mixture screw. Turn it two turns out from a lightly seated position.Should help.http://www.ebay.com/itm/POLARIS-2000-2002-325-Magnum-4x4-Carburetor-Repair-Kit-Carb-Kit-/271472829509?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f350aa445&vxp=mtr

Old 05-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks! About 2 and a half turns has got it running great! However, I was cruising along after putting about 2 hours on it and it slowly rolled to a stop. All the shafts are turning and the clutch is working properly. It has a brand new belt also. I'm thinking it has to be in the rear end. Seems I'm working on it more than riding. lol I suppose it's a give and take relationship with my atv.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably the coupler splines on the prop shaft have stripped and prop shaft just turns,rear wheel don't. I've had to do a bunch of these on the Magnums because a lot of people don't notice the coupler or it's grease fitting until it's too late.Hard to see through the box swing arm and only has a small hole in the swing arm to grease the coupler. Either the swing arm or rear diff,axle,etc has to be removed to have enough room to remove and replace the coupler. Not that much cost on a new coupler,but a whole lot of labor.. Item #17. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awesome! I don't mind the labor at all....I love to learn all I can about what I'm riding. The best (not always the easiest) way to learn, is by getting in there and tearing into a project. Where exactly is the coupler? I'm going to check out an ebook of the parts manual to see where it's located.....I like to be sure I'm replacing what I need to. Thanks so much, man. You've earned my respect already. lol

Old 05-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The coupler is shown in the link OPT posted above.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh, didn't realize it was a link. Thanks. I found it and checked....that seems to be the issue! The shaft is rotating but the coupling isn't. Thanks guys! Now to get it all apart and place an order. One last thing and I'll have it. While running, there seems to be a knocking sound. It's fairly loud at times. It still runs fine but I don't want to run into any other issues down the road. The oil level is fine....and the guy I purchased the atv from said he had the entire engine redone. As far as rings, seals....etc. I don't know how truthful he is considering he only told me that it needed a CDI to run....which it didn't. It was the ignition coil. Anyway, I don't mean to be annoying with all the questions but I'm ready to ride and don't want to ruin anything further. Thanks in advance. You guys are great!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've read a lot about Polaris and theres a lot of guys that say it's normal to have a loud sound while running because the valves aren't the shimmed kind. I dunno.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just to be sure on the knocking,just pull the clutch cover and as you idle it up listen to see if the sound is coming from the front clutch. Worn guide button can make this knocking sound from the clutch spider hitting the guide button ramps.If it's not the clutch,the major problems on the early 325s were soft rod bearings.If it's this,the engine has to be torn down.Rod bearings #14.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Clutch guide buttons #4.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
On rare occasions the cam chain lower sprocket lock nut can back off causing a knocking sound against the stator plate. Item#11.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Finding where the knock is and replacing the prop shaft coupler should keep you busy for awhile.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks OPT! I'm going to dig in and check it thoroughly after work tomorrow. I'll update any finds. Have a great night.

Quick Reply: 2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Idle issue