Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing great out there! I finally received the coupling in the mail after 2 weeks. Been really busy and I'm just now getting ready to dive into this project. I'm taking the swing arm off and the "bolts" that connect it to the frame, one on each side, are extremely tight and the pop a little when I turn them to come out. Should I perhaps try to take some tension off from them or what's the best way to go about replacing the prop shaft coupling. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:21 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You can take the swing arm off if you have some "helping" hands as this is quicker, but hard for one man. Easier to just take the rear diff out. More stuff to take off,but easier to align the dif to the new coupler and prop shaft.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Best if you have a manual that shows you step by step.2002 Polaris Magnum 325 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 06-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Disassembly Success

Thanks so much! I actually just finished tearing it down....and I agree, it was a little difficult going at it solo. I got it though. The coupling is definitely worn, more on the prop shaft side than the rear. The prop shaft looks rough too. I'm thinking it would be wise to go ahead and replace it also since I have it all taken apart. I'm going to search around some of the used dealers and "junk yards" around here to see if I can find one cheaper than $140. Is there any other Polaris models that will interchange with mine? I know the Trail Boss has a lot of similar parts. I thought I could simply measure mine and find one the same size as long as the splines were the same. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks again Old Polaris Tech! You are my main source of info on any questions I have regarding this ATV! Your info is always great and you don't beat around the bush, so to speak. For all of you reading this, take his advice....he will not steer you wrong. Thanks again! Take care.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just order the oem prop shaft. $137 at Cycle Parts Warehouse. Isn't cheap,but trying to find the same one with the same dimensions,splines could be a little frustrating to say the least.Long ago major parts had their manufacturer marks/logo on parts but the atv manufacturers got smart and had them left off for their machines. More money for the dealer/manufacturer regardless of make or brand of atv. If you still want to look here's one source for prop shafts.http://www.pssupply.com/site.html

Old 06-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I took my prop shaft off and up to my local Polaris dealer to see if they had one, they said mine was a little worn but still had a lot of life in it. I've got everything ready to put back together but when I put the swing arm pivot bolts back on, theres play between the swing arm and the frame. I didn't think there was when I took it off and I can't find anything online for my model. Am I supposed to put one side on before the other? When I tighten the side with the nut, after I have the other side already in place and snug but not tight, it's like it's pushing the swing arm over instead of towards the frame. It's lined up as far as I can tell. That's the only thing holding me back from enjoying this beautiful weather on my ride. Thanks again, brother and hopefully the guys at Polaris are correct about the prop shaft.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:30 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Best I can remember start pivot bolts in each side,tighten up the right side(as you're looking from the rear) then left side has the jam nut that tightens. Item #10. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse