Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clutch belt creeping

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.....I'll look into getting that size steel washer.....

Kevin

Old 06-21-2014, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

All back together.....I cleaned everything with kerosene. I used two .020 steel shims inside the cup instead of one brass washer. I replaced the PTFE washer on the other end of the one way bearing.Now there is very little , if not any play in the one way bearing side to side movement. I can still easily turn the one way bearing too. Now the belt rides in the center and the bike doesn't creep.
I think I'll shift the engine over to the right if the belt ever rides against the inner sheave again. I do already have three shims behind the secondary now....

Kevin

Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Have to have the spider tool to take the front clutch apart. Just replace the fiber washer and instead of the brass washer called for,use the same size shim that you used on the rear clutch to bring it out. Brass washers were bad about wearing down to nothing. Whining could be fan blade hitting the cover or bearing noise if you only hear this when the fan is on.#2 is the brass washer(replace with the steel shim) #18 is the fiber washer. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse
Spider tool on ebay or here it's a little cheaper.Drive Clutch Spider Removal and Installation Tool
What number is the steel shim?

Are there any other tools or parts I need to buy to work on this clutch or clutches?

What is the best belt to buy?

I have yet to take the cover off to see what I might need

Old 04-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jrsavoie
What number is the steel shim?

Are there any other tools or parts I need to buy to work on this clutch or clutches?

What is the best belt to buy?

I have yet to take the cover off to see what I might need
If you need to shim out the rear clutch,take an existing rear shim and match it up at any hardware store. You need the clutch puller,spider tool and the base. Many have made their own bases and the puller can be bought at most hardware stores. Best belt by far is the oem one by Polaris.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch belt creeping-index.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If you need to shim out the rear clutch,take an existing rear shim and match it up at any hardware store. You need the clutch puller,spider tool and the base. Many have made their own bases and the puller can be bought at most hardware stores. Best belt by far is the oem one by Polaris.
Still a dummy here.

I have a lot of pullers. What is the clutch puller and the base?

I think I see by this picture that the bolt and pin pictured is the clutch puller

https://www.google.com/search?q=2001...hrome&ie=UTF-8

You have a bolt and something else pictured.

If I need to shim, do a I need a longer bolt or is that for reference if my bolt shows wear?

Thanks for the details

WHat is the clutch holder mentioned in this video?

Old 04-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes the bolt I pictured was just one you could make to pull the drive clutch from the engine that a lot of people have done. If you already have the one piece clutch puller you can disregard this. The base is the fixture(with legs or bolts) to hold the clutch while you turn the spider to loosen or tighten the clutch to 200 ft pounds.You can buy one or make your own as many have done. Here's a video and tearing a clutch apart and back together.Old geezer like me doing it.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch belt creeping-polaris-snowmobile-atv-clutch-rebuilding-adjusting-tools-_1.jpg   Clutch belt creeping-hold-down-tool.jpg  
Old 04-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Trailblazer

Are there any links to the base or some proper search terms that I can get results from?

I haven't found anything to show me anything.

I ordered this:

SLP Snowmobile Clutch Holding Spider Tool For Polaris 20-162

Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Isn't cheap. That's why many people make their own. Same for the spider tool.
Amazon Amazon
Complete kits are on ebay,but around $240. For a one time use,might be cheaper to just pull the clutches and have them looked at and rebuilt.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by jrsavoie
I ordered this:

SLP Snowmobile Clutch Holding Spider Tool For Polaris 20-162
That'll work ok, same as the OTC holder.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I can make the clutch puller. Should have everything here for that.

I have 2 tools ordered. Will there be anything else I will want to have on hand when I get back to it?

I have this: SLP Snowmobile Clutch Holding Spider Tool For Polaris 20-162 | eBay

And this: POLARIS RZR SPORTSMAN RANGER TRAIL BOSS SPIDER NUT LOCKING TOOL LOCK MAGNUM BLAZ | eBay

I was told by the seller That the other tool that looked similar, that I posted a link to, would not work.

Quick Reply: Clutch belt creeping