Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

550 Touring - Heat Demon grips install

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 550 Touring - Heat Demon grips install

Hi, I have a 2013 Sportsman 550 Touring and I wanted to install heated grips this year. I've watched video of the installation and it looks pretty easy using WD40. Main question I have is with the wireing.

From other forums I've read most people splice into the accessory plug in the pod. This seems to make sense to me. Thing is I want to make sure I do it right so I don't have problems down the road.

It looks like the kit comes with those quick splice plastic/metal gate connectors. Not sure how keen I am on those. Last thing I want while I am miles from nowhere is some sort or short or something. I've never used them though so maybe they are good.

If they are not good what is the best way to splice in? I figured cutting into the accessory line, stripping both ends, and using a heat shrink crimp connector. Any thoughts? Is this the easiest/best place to patch in and the best way to do it? Thanks.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Heat shrink is preferred or if as most Polaris machines you should have a spare accessory wire,either bullet nose or a spade connector that has power with the key,that is if you haven't already used it. If it's a scotch lock connector they sent you,they're good and quick for many applications,but not sealed good enough for water.Had too many of them rust up.

Attached Thumbnails 550 Touring - Heat Demon grips install-electrical-connectors-blue-splice-snap-lock-connector-3420-p.jpg  
Old 06-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Heat shrink is preferred or if as most Polaris machines you should have a spare accessory wire,either bullet nose or a spade connector that has power with the key,that is if you haven't already used it. If it's a scotch lock connector they sent you,they're good and quick for many applications,but not sealed good enough for water.Had too many of them rust up.
Thanks OPT for the response. Yes, I think it comes with one of those connectors and I was leary about using something like that. Expensive machine to make a half *** connection on.

I'm not sure if I've used the spare wire yet. That would be great if I haven't. It came with a winch installed though so maybe it has been used. Do you know where I should start looking for a spare wire? Would it maybe be secured inside the pod?

Old 06-26-2014, 11:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Could be under the pod or branched off from the main wiring harness leading up to the pod if there is a spare one.If you have one it may be sealed and you have to peel the plastic coating back.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I put a few on snowmobiles and the instruction paper were easy to follow.
Just make sure its a wire that is dead with key turned off of you will have a dying batter when its parked.

The wire for the DC accessory out let would be a safe bet.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:15 PM
Trailblazer

Great guys, thanks for the tips. I'll look for the spare wire, or worse comes to worse patch into the DC accessory outlet. If I do the later I'll probably use some of those good heat shrink crimp connectors. Thanks again.

Old 06-26-2014, 04:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good luck with that kind of connector. It's in the pod and out of the weather.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I've had good luck with that kind of connector. It's in the pod and out of the weather.
Good point about it being in the pod and out of the weather. I'll check out the supplied splicer when I get it and maybe use it if it is decent quality. I'd just never had used one so was skeptical.