Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris atv whine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris atv whine?

Hello , I bought a2004 polaris scrambler 500 last November did a bunch of work to it now it's riding time, the first few rides were quiet with no clutch whine now when I'm coming to a stop it sounds like mister Jetsons car...I took the belt off and it still makes some noise...I've read a thousand posts with no clear answer , I've heard a lot of that's just polaris noise...well what concerns me is ...it didn't make the noise a month ago now it does...any ideas would be helpful...I've done enough work to it that if it need replacing I would do it. Thank you for the info. Jim

Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't replaced any possible worn parts such as the ramp buttons,guide buttons or even the belt,you may need to check into that. Plus a simple blowing out accumulated belt dust in the clutches may help on the noise.Worn/glazed belts are the most common causes of clutch whine.Whine may not just be in the clutches alone also. Worn transmission bearings can whine and radiate through the clutch area also.If you pull the belt and it still whines,then I'd check the front clutch for button wear,grooved spider ramps where the buttons glide,etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Thank you

Thanks for the info...I blew out the dust. With the belt off. Still whines a bit. But it is not really under a load...gonna put it back together and run it a bit....was really dusty. Is that belt dust or clutch dust?.....thanks again. Jim

Old 07-10-2014, 02:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Mainly belt dust but mixed in with a little ramp button,guide button wear and throw in a little dirt accumulation from the clutch air intake on top of all this. Any time I blew out/cleaned clutches they were out in an open area so no one would have to breathe this crap...

Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Still chirping

Just got back from a ride...still chirping when coming to a stop...I know it's hard to guess but at this point is thing gonna explode in the next day or do I still have a while...runs great no slipping and quiet when driving....also. Do they sell repair kits or would I replace the whole clutch? Thanks agin. Jim

Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lift up on the clutch cover and see if see if the noise stops. Could be the drive clutch touching the cover. If you haven't checked out the belt for any glazed/burnt spots I'd do that along with checking the belt sag. With a straight edge on top of both clutches, pull the top of the belt down. If the measurement from the belt to the straight edge is an 1 1/2" or more,time to really replace the belt because of wear and stretch. Non ebs clutches are fairly simple,but you need the drive clutch puller along with the spider tool for the drive clutch to change out guide buttons,etc if they are needed,the rear clutch main wear items are the three ramp buttons with an occasional ground down helix if the buttons are worn down to nothing and the helix is grinding metal to metal. Just a few things to check to help you narrow down the problem.We just have to guess what the noise is or where the noise is coming from unless you post a video of it. http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2004&fveh=5640
http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...2004&fveh=5640
Plus you can take a pry bar and check that the front motor mount hasn't separated. This could cause problems also.