Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

SCREEEEEMMMMIIINNGGGG pipe for Scram500

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 11:29 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got my FMF pipe for my 99 scrambler 500 today and within 15 mins. I had it on and purrrinn. I put the FMF Megamax II on it and it is very nice. It looks great and performs even better. I put all of the discs in it so it would be as quiet as possible. At idle or slow speeds through a neighborehood it is about the same decible as the stock pipe but when you open it up it does get alittle louder. When you let off the gas, it sounds like a Harley, boom bap bap bap boom bap bap bap bap. It is very nice!!! I could easily see a huge difference. I went straight to an old driving range where I could kick it and see what the beast really had!!! It believe it was a 350 yd driving range, I stomped it on the wet grass and it almost lifted the front tires and then it was gone. BTW I am buying new tires next week, so you know these are almost slick tires! I was steady picking up speed very fast and it never top out. I could tell a very big difference in the power. But the sound.... if you like the sound of a perfect running Harley decelerating from a very good speed then this is the pipe. I don't like loud pipes but this is just right. I live in NC around 3000-2000 Ft above sea level and NO jetting was required, even with a K&N installed. Sweet pipe, I love it!!! I first had a friend on the back and we took off and it almost had the power of one person on it but the handleing was not the same. He could not keep his feet on the pegs though. If I would suggest anyone else to buy it, DEFINATELY! For $180 you can't go wrong.

Later,

Steve

Old 09-08-1999, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Steve,

Sounds like I'm buying a pipe. I had my dealer order the jet kit from K&N over month ago & it still hasn't came in. I think I'm just going to order it myself straight from K&N. It's a little more pricy, but it looks like thats the only way I'll ever get it. Did the pipe fit OK, any plastic rubbing? Sounds like you had more power throughout the RPM range, is this true? I still have those tires for the rear if you want them, $50 for both + shipping. They are on the trailor. Let me know what kind of tires you are looking at, I've been toying with the idea of making some changes on mine. Anyway, talk to you soon...Went to Uwharrie this weekend. Mudfest '99! We had a blast! I'll fill you in later.

Jerome Coker
'99 400 & 500 Scramblers

Old 09-08-1999, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

How ya doing? The pipe fits better than the stock one. Very easy to install and it was better throughout the whole powerband. Since my front cv boot ripped and now my brakes are acting up I won't be able to get new larger rims like I planned. I have to fix the problems before I get wild. I am trying to find the largest and best fitting tire for the stock rims. I did see a scrambler 400 with 25 inch swampers on the back and something else on the front (i forgot what) he had a huge rear sprocket on the rear and he also had to change the other sprockets up front. I feel this is because it was a very heavy tire and it was on a 2 stroke. 25 inch tires easily fit on the scramblers. Talk to ya later. BTW You need to get the pipe!

Steve

Old 09-08-1999, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

FMF makes some good s**t. I kinda wish i had one after seeing FMF pipe's on many of the 4 strokes i hang with and their owners smiles. The power package was appealing to me though ( Pipe, carb and roller clutch kit ). The added db's of my pipe doesn't even phase me because i'm used to the sound of my two friends ultra modified banshee and ultra ( Loud ) modified quadracer 500. I usually can't even hear my bike if they are near me.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500

Old 09-08-1999, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

Steve, don't pay your dealer to install a new boot. I have replaced both my front boots by myself already, it's not a big deal and you should be able to handle it fine. Even if you screw up once, twice, or 6-7 times, it should still be cheaper than the dealer.

E-mail me at quad_man@hotmail.com if you are interested in doing it.

I haven't wanted a pipe for a while, to keep stock sound, but that sounds like a good one. Maybe later I will get one. I really want to see the HPD & FMF in person, and maybe ride them though. I have heard good things about both. Anybody who has used both, please compare them for me!