Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why change brands?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-1999, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the pace to buy a Polaris SP500 by the end of fall. Question:

For those of you who switched to Polaris from another brand, why did you do it?

Also, how is the SP500 for plowing snow...say 12-24 in.?

------------------

Old 09-11-1999, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

2wd 4wd option ,Best ride in the buisness ( if you ride a lot you will like that) Simply put it is easy to operate and performance is great. Another thing that sold me on my first one in 1994 was the tight turning diameter.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-11-1999, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

I wasn't set out to buy a Polaris, I just wanted a fast good handling 4x4 that could also do a little jumping. They were only manufacture that offered that combo, so that's what I went with.

Old 09-12-1999, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

I have always ridden dirt bikes, Honda, Yamaha, & Kawasaki. Now I have 2 kids so the bikes don't get ridden a whole lot. One day a relative offered to sell me his 91 Polaris Trail Boss. We thought, hey great for doubling the kids right? Now we can go riding in the same areas we rode the dirt bikes! Great idea!

Well the Trail Boss won me over instantly. It was great with the kids. No clutches, single brake lever, racks, low range, ect ect.. Anyone could easily ride this quad even my grandmother. I had to get another, something sportier, faster... Besides, mom could double the kids.

Now I am also a proud owner of a 1996 Sport 400. Now I know this is not the same as the SP500 you want but I absolutely love it. Fast? Ohh yea...Scary, wheelie flippin' fast!

These quads are great. They are made in america and a a breeze to ride.

Keith

Old 09-12-1999, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Successinstock,Simply put,nobody offers all the bells and whistles that the Sportsman has.I love the AWD system that gives you power to ALL 4 wheels instead of 3,great ride,excellant ground clearance,easy to ride,nice shock travel,and it's a work Horse as well.I plow snow with mine,it takes no effort at all to plow 12 inches of snow.I do have the GoodYear Mud-Runners on mine though.Right now im having some very BAD problems with mine[go to 99 Sportsman in the forums]but dont let that hamper you to much.Im the only one with a Sportsman that seems to be having Numerous promblems.I've toned my attitude down alot since I;ve now got a Lawyer fighting for me.Good Luck------BILL

Old 09-12-1999, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AKSPORTSMAN,Go get that battery and charging system checked,I start mine in -20 in the winter alot,never a problem with the electric start.Sounds like MAYBE you need a new Battery.---Good Luck---BILL

Old 09-12-1999, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

I use my 425 mag 4x4 for hunting 90% of the time i had a 88 warrior but wanted a 4x4 . the first thing that sold me on the polaris was the 2wd 4wd switch. as most of you know you don't always need 4wd and the atv handles and turns better in 2wd. the other 2 things were the ride(and have ridden all of them and nothing compares) and the auto tranny.

Old 09-12-1999, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

aksportsman.

Have you checked for a verry slight current draw when everthing is off and key out.Our motor home had the same problem.And that's what it was.It kept pulling the battery,s down but toke three weeks.It killed batterys every year and a half.Diehard golds no less!

Old 09-12-1999, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

I've had my sp500 since April, so I haven't had the chance to plow with it yet, but I've done alot of towing and pulling. I can honestly say that without TRUE 4wd, some of the jobs would not have gotten done. I've towed a 24ft. camper numerous times, dragged a full size pick-up out of a roadside ditch,(that took quite a bit of effort) pulled out tree stumps, and winched out plenty of 2wd and 3wd ATVs out of some pretty deep mud. I'm sure some of the things I have done were beyond the manufacturers reccomendations, but it performed flawlessly every time. By the way, Bill, its nice to see that you've toned down from your original posts. It sounds like you are actually reccomending the sp500. Quite a change from just a little while ago! I'm not bashing, so don't take it that way. Good luck on getting a NEW sp500, and don't quit until you do!

Old 09-12-1999, 02:46 PM
Trailblazer

Success, I have plowed snow with my 1989 350 4x4, and it does a fine job. I would imagine that a SP500 would do it even better. I did not switch brands, I bought a 1989 350 4x4 for the wife because it was so easy to operate. My wife is a great woman, but she could not learn to shift with her foot. She mastered the Polaris rather quickly. At the time I rode an XY600. I rode hers a few times, and was impressed with it every time that I did. I could ride my 600 for 6 hours and be stove up for 3 days. I could ride the Polaris for 10 hours and then do it again the next day. Great ride, full floorboards (I ride in tennis shoes), ease of operation, and very reliable. I have only had to walk out once, because of a poor decision on my part. I stuck it in a spring up to the racks. (both)
I sold the 350s after they had about 7,000 hard miles on them. Rubicon 3 times, Piute trail for 2 full weeks, Glamis many times, ect. I will definately buy another Polaris!
Dave

Quick Reply: Why change brands?