Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why change brands?

Old 09-13-1999, 11:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aksportsman,

Not to beat this thing to death, but battery performance in cold weather is probably a good topic for this guy. I owned 2 polaris and rode them last winter in Ontario.

My 99 Xplorer started every time. My 95 Scrambler battery started failing half way through.

I bought a new battery and I also bought a Battery Tender. This thing charges at the right amperage, and when a full charge is reached. It monitors the battery to keep it up to snuff. (Don't buy a standard automotive charger, it will fry these batteries).

The Tender came with a 'pigtail' which I used on the Scrambler. The Xplorer came with a 'pigtail' plug in which fit the Tender perfectly.

I can understand that you had to pull start your machine, as you had days which were that cold and for so long. I don't know if I would keep the Tender outside for a month and expect it to last for too long.

However, if someone was storing their machine in a shed or unheated garage, then it might do. It seemed to fix it right up. I used to put the machines in the garage, and plug one in, then on Wednesday I used to switch the machines. On the weeked, they were ready to go. (It took me a while to get the machine 'winterized'. Oiling the throttle cables so it wouldn't freeze wide open. Studding the tires. Hand Guards so the hands wouldn't freeze.)

Can't wait until the winter for pure fun on the ice....

Still have a great fall of riding.

RM

Old 09-13-1999, 12:06 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Is "Battery Tender" the brand name? And can you tell us where you got it? Also, are there trickle chargers out there that run on solar power?

Thanks,

Rod

Old 09-13-1999, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys and girls?....Keep the comments coming. The reason I posted this originally was to give people (like me) a reason why people drive Polaris especially people who used to own other brands.

I am buying a piece of property in Ontario Canada and will use it primarily in the summer/fall time. If I go up in the winter I need it (SP500) to plow through the access road to get my non 4 wheel drive vehicle back to the cottage.

Once again thanks for the posts. Considering Artic Cat, and maybe would even wait for the 2000 Hondas....but getting itchy checkbook fingers when I look at the Polaris. It seems like a monster.

Dave

Old 09-19-1999, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

if you leave your quad setting for several months at a time you should charge your battery every 2-3 weeks to keep it fully charged. if you leave it go dead for any length of time it will not hold a charge i have learned this from 20 years of using these small batteries.

Old 09-20-1999, 09:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a Yamaha Timberwolf for 4 years, ran great, only had to change tires, battery and have carb. cleaned after 3 years. I use my atv on a 7K acre lease for hunting, there where a few places I couldn't go without 4wd. My hunting buddies own Yamaha, after I bought mine, cause it ran so well the first year, they had Honda. Grizzly, Kodiak where the choice for them. When I looked to upgrade earlier this year, I wanted something with a auto tranny, 2wd to 4wd option, that left only Grizzly, SP500 and Mag. 500, the new Kodiak wasn't out yet. I like the Grizzly but it is so hot to ride on that I decided to go with the Mag. 500, less zerks than the SP500. So far(@100 miles) rode, the magnum is a awesome machine, my only bitch is that it's a gas pig(compared to the timberwolf I owned) and I can't get the carb. bowl drain plug screw to open. Maintenance is fairly easy, I'm a average shade tree mechanic, and I've done every bit of maintenance on it possible, fluids, plug, filters, I think I am really going to enjoy owning it.

Old 09-20-1999, 11:41 PM
Range Rover

I'm going from Polaris to Honda. Reliability is the biggest reason. I do not abuse my ATV's, but I do ask them to work. The two 4WD Polaris's that I have owned have complained too often. Multiple, unrelated problems. The latest problem was a counter balance shaft seal that went south and took everything with it. I have a six hundred dollar bill staring me in the face as I type this. I do not have the time or patience. I will buy the Rubicon when it becomes available next spring. No hard feeling towards Polaris.....they just didn't work out for me.

Old 09-21-1999, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Rod,

Regarding the Battery Tender, search Yahoo for it. You will find a couple of places which describe it.

If you are close to a motorcycle dealership, they should supply it.

It is made purposely for these small batteries. My experience is that it works great.

RM

Old 09-26-1999, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm suprised no body has thought of using bags of salt for weight for plowing snow.(Water softner salt)
You can add as much as you want and you can still take it off quick to go PLAY