Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Otp????!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Opt????

I am looking to find out how to get the center sprocket off and then back on on my 98 Polaris xplorer 400. I am very mechanically inclined but this has me stumped bad!!! Its the transmission sprocket that connects the chain to the rear sprocket!!! I can't get it past the swingarm bushing
TIA!!!

Old 09-27-2014, 02:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Common problem on these chain driven models. Either the sprocket tooth hits the washer and bushing or if you can get past that sometimes you can't get the sprocket through the hole.. This is because over the years the tranny can shift around to where the shaft isn't perfectly centered in the cut out opening like it was from the factory.You can take a dremel if you don't want to remove the bolt,washer and nut and just notch enough to where the one sprocket tooth(that usually hits the washer) can clear. Don't be surprised if you have to do the same thing on the cut out hole if the old sprocket or replacement sprocket can't get through the opening. Either do that or loosen all the tranny bolts to where it can which most people wouldn't do. Polaris just made things too close and the hole too small.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-28-2014, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OPT,

Thanks man I really appreciate the idea and it worked great!!!!

Old 09-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Christopher Cannon Moore
OPT,

Thanks man I really appreciate the idea and it worked great!!!!
Don't tell any one,but I dremeled a lot of things to make them fit over the years..