Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cv boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-1999, 06:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just noticed a tear in my right rear cv boot on my 99 sp500. I could use a little help. I've never replaced one before, is it difficult? Are there any special tools that I will need? Any special procedures? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-14-1999, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

Never changed a boot on the rear of a Sportsman, but I have changed two boots myself on the front of Polaris ATV's, and walked about 5 people now through it by e-mail.

The fronts aren't tough, and only regular tools are needed. I haven't done a back yet, but when our Sportsman rips one, I guess I will try it. Let ius know if you decide to do it yourself.

Old 09-16-1999, 08:07 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah I tore my front boot on my scrambler too, I have the kit and am ready to do it ,but I wish someone would do a step by step tech tip thing or something cause i am not going to try to replace it till I can get some idea of what needs to come off and how to take it off.

Old 09-17-1999, 11:20 AM
Range Rover

Ryan, Adam stepped me through this my first time and it is very easy. Before you start look at the clamps you have, do they require a tool, do you have it? I had the clamps that had a hoop and lock fastener, I needed a tool. I went to the dealership and got a different pair of clamps, ones that looked almost like metal zip ties. You hold the lock part with a screwdriver as you pull it tight with needlenose pliers. Now for the directions: First take off the tire, then take off the nut holding the a-arm to the strut and then the nut holding the tie rod to the strut. Take off the boot guard to make it easier to get to the boot. Next remove the clamps on the boot. Now for the hardest part , lift the strut up and apart from the a-arm. Now your strut should move freely. Pull the strut/hub straight out away from the axle/atv. DO NOT twist the axle or move the atv when or after you pull the strut from the axle. You want to be able to line the splines up easily when you put it back together. Pull the boot off and clean all of the dirt or old grease out of the hub area. Put the new boot on and put the small clamp on. Fill the hub with grease and put the rest in the boot. As you slide the the axle back into the hub before you slide it tight together put the large clamp on. It will have to be very,very close to being together before you can tighten the large clamp. When you tighten the clamp push the strut and hub tightly on and tighten all of the nuts (a-arm,tierod,wheel). Now you're done. As you do this it get very easy and you can understand how it comes apart. Good luck and congrats on doing your own repairs.

Later,

Steve

Old 09-17-1999, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you or anyone have problems with this or what ever,I have manual for my 96 has goopictures in it of front hub assembly.Would be glad to e-mail what I can.

gsp1010842@yahoo.com

------------------

Old 09-20-1999, 12:03 AM
Pro Rider

Our Sportsman's rear boot is shredded, I guess from a stick. Great timing.... Within the next couple weeks I should have a step by step write-up with pictures on how to replace the rear boot on a Polaris on my webpage. I will probaly post a link in the forums when it's up. Hope it's not too bad...

Old 09-20-1999, 06:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well, so far all I've done is unclamp the boot and slide it down to take a look. Half a cup of water poured out, but there was no damage because there was plenty of grease inside the boot. From what a friend and I can tell, it looks like a CV joint, not a universal joint. Anyhow, I'm gonna pull the wheel and hub, and unbolt whatever else is connected, and try to slide the shaft and gear out of the trans. I forgot to mention, its the inside boot, not the outside boot. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 09-20-1999, 07:00 PM
Trailblazer

quad man, is it your inside or outside boot thats torn? Also, if you tackle it soon, email me if you could, thanks.

Old 09-20-1999, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

It's the outside boot, or the one by the wheel. I am not sure when I will get to it though, probaly before the next hunt whenever that is.

Old 09-21-1999, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

If you can find a bearing or axle place around take it or # to them will save bundle over dealer cost.How about new site see you made it.
LATER COB

[This message has been edited by corncob2 (edited 09-21-1999).]

Quick Reply: cv boot replacement