Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

voltage regulator question

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep going on 5 days now not one single backfire yet (knock on wood) thinking it was the plug as i have the oil injection set high to make sure it gets plenty of oil ( i had a previous piston shatter to pieces) so id rather be safe then sorry, so im thinking that it fouled out; the spark plug that is. my new VR arrived today so when i take her apart either tomorrow or Sunday i am going to try and hook my trail tech vapor back up and see how she acts no point in having a $100+ part just sit on my machine with no purpose for that id rather sell the part on ebay or something. u know i have been thinking about my old stator and wandering if my whole problem hasnt been because of a bad spark plug. i say this because they both ohmed out the same, however my battery readings were a lot lower before i put the new stator on. i think the highest i ever got with the old stator was 13.65 and with the new stator i got 14.85. what do u guys think.
RUBEN

Old 12-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Partially fouled plugs can mimic a lot of things. If it's charging over 14 volts back to the battery,then I would think it's ok. Usually can't send back electrical parts even in the oem packaging so hang on to it in case the old one craps out. As far as the Trail Tech all you can do is hook it back up and see how it does. I'd set the oil pump down to where the mark on the wheel aligns with the pump mark. This one is set a tad rich as you can faintly see the pump mark.

Attached Thumbnails voltage regulator question-pos1.jpg  
Old 12-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

no opt i have the new one in my machine now i was saying that the old one since it ohmed out the same as the new one and it was charging something like 13.8 at the battery which is like a 1 volt less then then the new one do u think it is alright and that it was just the fouled spark plug.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 12-12-2014, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Could have been just a partially fouled plug all along. At least it's been a learning experience and that's worth something..

Old 12-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Range Rover

thats for sure OPT

Old 02-01-2015, 02:25 PM
Range Rover

so i thought an update was in order so i purchased a new battery because my old battery failed the cold cranking load test, so i said oh what the heck i minus as well replace the voltage regultor on it, right. since the specs were off. well to do so on my machine i had to drain the (2stroke) oil tank. so when i finally got it all back together i had to bleed the oil injection pump, but guess what? i broke the freaking bleed screw. so i said screw it i will just pre-mix my fuel and in doing so i had to drain the fuel that i had in my carb right so i did that by turning it upside down(the carb) well when i got it all put back together my carb was leaking like a siv i mean like a steady stream of fuel, so i then tore my carb apart and watched a video on youtube about float adjustment and how the the float arm had to be something around 22-24mm mine was more like 30-33 mm. so i put it all back together and voila all of its problems are cured, no more loss of power / stalling while 1/4 to full throttle , which i find a little weird to tell u the truth how could it be acting like its starving for gas when it was getting way to much gas. However when i took off the oil tank i went ahead and screwed in the rev limiter. i had a new one plugged in but had it just laying on top of the oil tank so i dont know if that had anything to do with it o or not but i am happy, although sometimes i still get a backfire or two but i think thats from me flooding the engine because i want/expect my machine to start up a lot quicker than it is.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look over this if you haven't already seen it. Can help when working on the old vm30-34 carbs along with the cv carbs. Handy reference and repair guides.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.aWw&cad=rja