Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 550 XP Power Steering/Electrical Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumbo,
Are you suggesting that if you drill a hole in the bottom that any water that gets inside would just drain right out thus maybe less corrosion or issues?

Old 03-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

They did that with the old fan motors on the early Magnums and Sportsmans. Had a nipple at the top and a tube leading up the frame. May have been for some kind of ventilation,but didn't last long.Within a couple years,motor vents were sealed up with clear epoxy,then later models omitted them entirely.Imo a vent,a drain tube or both still would allow moisture entry in the motor.If they just sealed the blame things better,knowing that atvs are going to be in wet conditions,then problems like this shouldn't ever happen in the first place.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I wonder how well the old one would have worked if you drilled a drain hole in the bottom of it. Water was getting in anyway so having the hole there shouldn't make it much worse.
I would not advise doing this.

The unit worked prior to the dealer opening it up (above freezing temps of course). Once they opened it up, drained the water and let it air dry they put a sealant on it and put it back together. Once back in the machine it didn't even work again. When the manufacturer (globe motors) mean don't open, they are serious. I should add that also when I say "take it apart" that basically you can separate some of the housing a little and that is it. Everything is connected with electrical ribbons sending information between sensor and motor, splined shafts, etc. I did lots of cutting and snipping to get mine apart to view.

In addition, it is in my opinion that once it was opened up an unlimited supply of oxygen was able to get inside and speed up the corrosion process mightily. Yes, water had to get in somehow, but putting a hole in it or other methods would not be something I would try in my situation - perhaps someone else would be willing to try this route. Lastly, the electric motor is the lowest part, and where you would drill this hole. You would have to be very careful on the drill depth not to cause any damage to motor.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps put a short clear drain hose with a plug on the end , if there was moisture you would see it and could take the plug off and drain it ?

Old 03-09-2015, 02:50 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtpockets
Jumbo,
Are you suggesting that if you drill a hole in the bottom that any water that gets inside would just drain right out thus maybe less corrosion or issues?
Yes if it's full of water. At that point I'd try anything.