Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

4x4 problem

Old 02-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 problem

u see over the weekend we got 14-16 inches of snow and this morning when i went to go out to do my chores on my farm my 4x4 wasnt working correctly u see only the left front tire was working and after awhile it too quit working any advice would be great thank god for my old 81 ski doo citation especially since i recently rebuilt the top end
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 02-03-2015, 09:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First check that the awd switch lights up and that you have power to the gray wires at the connector under the front panel. Plus you can pull the connectors apart and check resistance on the gray and brown wires leading to the strut coils. Should be around 25-30 ohms.If this shows ok,then could be mechanical problems in the hub. Change fluid first as fluid can get burnt and thick after awhile or in heavy use,plus in cold temps the fluid is thicker and may take a while to warm up to allow the awd to engage properly.Had that problem even down here when the temps dropped to the 30's or so on some atvs.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 PM
Range Rover

okay so i checked the ohms and that checked out and the awd switch turns on fine well i changed the fluid not to long ago so when u say mechanical problems in the hub how do i go about checking that .
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 02-03-2015, 07:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't hurt to have a cheap manual on this also as the video doesn't get into the strut coil,coil sleeve,etc.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Range Rover

thanks opt i just hope its something this simple and i do have a clymer repair manual for my machine i was just wanting to know if you knew of anything that happens often on these machines.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 02-04-2015, 09:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most common things to happen are armature plates becoming magnetized or ground down especially if you leave it in awd full time.It's just that the coil sleeve constantly has a slight pull on the plate even if awd hasn't engaged. Over a period of time some may have one wheel grab and have to constantly back up to release the awd because of plate being magnetized OR old dirty hub fluid can do the same thing. Other problems are leaking hub and strut seals. If run completely dry damage can happen to bearings,hilliard,plate and coil sleeve.I've seen them so neglected that the inner poles of struts where the coil rides were so ground down by the armature plate that the strut assy had to be replaced. Other than that,if you maintain the system,change the demand drive hub fluid regularly,check for any leaks,the system is pretty reliable.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:16 PM
Range Rover

yeah opt on mine i would have to do that, have one wheel grab and have to constantly back up to release the awd. so fingers crossed, oh so another thing why when i put it in reverse with the override button pushed in it always shows the awd is engaged ( with the awd button pushed in of coarse) but here lately whenever i put in forward drive the awd wont engage could this be because of the armature plate as well or are we talking something different.
THANKS
RUBEN

Old 02-04-2015, 02:28 PM
Range Rover

oh opt mine doesn't have an armature plate as u can see in the attached pic. or u can go here and see http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...bly-scrambler#

Attached Thumbnails 4x4 problem-canvas.jpg  
Old 02-04-2015, 02:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Probably armature plate magnetized or could just be sticking due to cold weather until fluid gets warm. Can be either one.Change fluid if needed first,then jack the machine up.Place in gear with awd on and see if both wheels are turning or just one. When you push the awd button to off you should be able to stop wheels from turning with your foot. If one side sticks,then that's the one you may need to tear into. Can't remember all that you've done,but if you have to ever replace an armature plate,do both sides,will save some future headaches.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 problem