Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2014 550 Electrical Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 550 Electrical Mystery

I am riding a 2014 550. Have had a few times when staring machine EPS light comes on and display shows check engine, Display won't show speed or RPM. I turn it off and restart and it is all good. No problem everything works.
I was out a few days ago and machine died. Display went completely blah, dead. Turned key off then on and restarted, ran fine but EPS warning light was on and display showed shift indicator but no speed This happened twice in a quarter mile, second time I got it going it kept running so I rode a couple miles out to a road then shut machine off. Restartted it a few minute later and everything worked. Full display EPS all good. This is real puzzling, anyone else seen or heard of this.
My 2012 machine which is identical and has 1785 KM on it has never missed a beat
Question I have is there some part of electrical that affects only eps and some display functions but lets machine run.
I tried to toggle for codes but nothing showed up
Any help much appreciated

Old 02-03-2015, 09:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

First thing I'd do is check that the battery connection are tight,have the battery load tested if necessary,plus that the regulator is charging properly back to the battery.Check for any strain on wiring/connectors as you turn the bars to full lock left and right. Then pull electrical connectors clean out if necessary and use a little dielectric grease. Could be as simple as this causing the problem.Codes may not show up on an erratic electrical problem that comes and goes.

Old 02-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. I had checked battery connections, found negative one loose enough I could move cable back and forth. So with machine running i tried to wiggle it and in fact loosened cable more and wiggled trying to get it to quit. Kept running. When it quit the two times it had no problem turning over and starting up so I never thought of a battery issue.
I am wondering if there is a part of the electrical which powers some of the display readings as well as eps and that is what is giving trouble.
It is a real mystery.
Could a relay do this? Or is it possibly an ECM problem and when machine key is turned off it resets something so will start again?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can check the fuses along with the fuse block itself,plus may even have a breaker for the eps.Retired before I had a chance to tear into one.Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Really best to have a manual on this as it can help you narrow down the problem with the electrical checks and schematic diagrams.Still pretty new to find cheap pdf manuals,but keep a look out on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-ATV-Owners-Manual-2014-Sportsman-X2-550-EPS-/251799867177?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item3aa0710f29&vxp=mtr

Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips. I had looked at all fuses and as many connections as I cab see, Wiggled and pulled but get no response at all. Machine runs fine now. I have an appointment at my Polaris Dealer for Friday to see what they can find. I will post what happens here.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Old Polaris Tech,
I read this on a different Forum and is it even a possible solution for the op?

"I had a 6 year old battery in my 2006 that would cause the ATV to just die going down the trail. I kept thinking it was a battery connection. Took them off, sanded them, put them back on, no help. Finally put a new battery in and never had the problem again...worth a try. When it ran, it ran great. When the battery started to act up it would lose power, backfire and finally die."

Old 02-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by mtpockets

"I had a 6 year old battery in my 2006 that would cause the ATV to just die going down the trail. I kept thinking it was a battery connection. Took them off, sanded them, put them back on, no help. Finally put a new battery in and never had the problem again...worth a try. When it ran, it ran great. When the battery started to act up it would lose power, backfire and finally die."
Yes possible,but usually in the case of the cdi(magneto triggered) systems of the older machines,this could have been the fault of the regulator rectifier not keeping the battery charged or the battery was just at the end of it's life span or some freakish thing happened.Even with a low or even with a dead battery you can pull start these machines back up. The battery is primarily only for the instruments,electric starter, headlights and fan,not for the ignition system. As far as cdi failures,cdi fails only when you supply it more than 16 volts or more or has a defective voltage regulator that clips stator voltage down. Completely different thing on the new DCI igntion systems whether carb (first one was the old 2005 Sportsman 700s) or newer efi machines. These have current straight from the battery to the cdi (or ECM) modules,sensors,etc. If batteries go dead on you while running on the trail and dies you're down and out until you get a new battery.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You're the man!
Great info thanks!!!

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Very informative old polaris tech, If I get your drift it is not likely a battery issue as there is enough life in it to easily start machine. I suspect an ECM problem or I suppose possibly a problem in harness. I did ride over some really bumpy terrain in an effort to get it to act up if it was something that was loose. Again no success in that. I am hoping that the tech I am taking it to on Friday is able to retrieve a code. I tried but couldn't get any to show up.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:00 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that's the thing about the newer bikes, they need the constant 13 volt +- to keep the bike running correctly. seams like any loss of correct voltage out put or a lose connection the new electronics have major issues. sometimes the old way was a good thing

Quick Reply: 2014 550 Electrical Mystery