Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hex drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hex drain plugs

Why oh why do they use these hex plugs that require an allen key hex wrench to get them out? I have stripped too many of these darn things and I am so sick of that!

I went to change my transmission fluid and, using the correct size wrench, rounded the hole that the wrench fits into. I called the dealer and they just scoffed, saying (it sounded like they were smiling when they said it) "you have to use the correct size or you'll round it out."

Well I did use the correct size, you see. I replaced that exact plug last year because I did the same thing. So I went out and purchased the entire set of hex wrenches (metric and standard). I used the correct one. Even so, the aluminum weld was so strong that my socket wrench rounded it right out. I torqued it correctly last season too.

So it looks like I will be spending some hours with my EZ out kit and will have to flush the tranny out good again, buy another plug at $10 each, and look forward to the same crap again next year.

My goodness, all this over a darn plug. Or a couple of them, anyways.

Is there any way to prevent the aluminum "weld" that occurs? Or is there a regular drain BOLT that I can use or an aftermarket one that takes a wrench? Any tips or advice?

Thanks!
Jim

Old 06-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Metric 6mm for the a good many of the atvs. 325/330,600/700.Plus some 8mms also for other plugs.Only problem I ever had was from owners that used the wrong size wrenches or allen sockets and stripped them out. PLUS do admit was kinda frustrating as the engines are metric and a lot of body,suspension,transmission parts are sae. One thing I did like about the Japanese machines or even the little imported Polaris youth models,all metric fasteners.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire

Yes sir, I looked it up in the spec sheet to be sure, too. After I rounded it out, though. I did have the correct wrench. But I may have used the wrong one (the closest standard size) last year when I seated it because I went out and bought the wrench set after I finished up the job - thinking "I never want to go through that again!" I'll readily admit that I could have over torqued it a bit because my torque wrench is an 18" model and the lighter torque settings are probably not very accurate. But wow that aluminum corrosion is a heck of a weld.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire
Default Anti Seize for Aluminum?

Is there such a thing? I had heard not to use the usual anti-seize compound on aluminum. Looking online, I did not see any that specifically call out "for use on aluminum"

Old 06-11-2015, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I've heard the same thing over the years to not use any type of anti seize because of graphite and also copper. Correct torque of between 14-17 lbs on the 325/330 and 17lbs noted on the 700 and 800 should be good enough if the sealing washer is still in decent shape. Never had a problem in removing one or installing one and never heard of a customer having problems unless they brought one in that that they or their kids had stripped them out. All I did was use the correct size bolt/screw remover,tapped it in,removed the damaged drain bolt and installed a new one.One of the best tool sets out there for your tool box and you can get them cheap now. Doesn't have to be a Snap On set like I have.Autozone,Napa,Harbor Freight,etc has them.

Attached Thumbnails Hex drain plugs-xurh1.jpg  
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, investing in metric tools cannot be avoided. I love tools. . I just wipe the plug clean, and reinstall.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Range Rover

You're over torquing the bolt.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Cheapskate Extrordinaire

I like that set of stubby EZOUTS! I had to grind one of mine down to work on the last one that I stripped.

So it sounds like I need to get a smaller torque wrench. That 18" one must not be accurate at those low pounds because I did torque them last year, and from the feedback I am seeing I must have overtorqued em. Easy to do since the wrench just clicks when it gets to that poundage and at that weight with an 18" lever at work, I probably still pushed past the click or something..

I had to rant a bit about it because, like I said, I have done this to two (this is my third) drain plugs so far and when the bike gets back from the shop I will be replacing this next one too. As usual, I am my own enemy!

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if you could get a square headed oil plug like this in the right size. Drain Plug 3/4"" Square Head Pipe Plug, Plain Finish, Each - Sherco Auto Supply

Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Range Rover

I just use my 6mm Allen wrench. It's only about 4" long so I don't think I will over tighten anything with it.

Quick Reply: Hex drain plugs