Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Complete clutch kits-worth wild mod?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear from a few of you that a complete clutch kit from RCR would be a good upgrade and would work well with my RCR Stage 1 kit.

I have a few questions-maybe you guys can help.

Will it effect it's rideabilty, making it dangerous on tight trails? I guess I just need to know what it will do for me and if they are worth the money.

What would it all include and for how much? Right now I just have the stiffer primary spring from RCR. Thanks.

'96 Scrambler w/RCR Stage 1 Kit, K&N filter, and Boyesen Power Reeds.

Old 04-09-2001, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

clutch kits do give you an advantage in all type of terrain, but to get the full effect from them, you really need to get an aftermarket headpipe and silencer. i was told by a guy that races a polaris that one really woln't work without the other

Old 04-09-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

The RCR Stage 1 kit includes a pipe, silencer, jetting, air box mod and filter, and a primary clutch spring. I have the midrange pipe - Jet Hot Coated too.

Has anyone with the RCR kit gone with the full clutch kit and how did it work for you?

'96 Scrambler w/RCR Stage 1 Kit, K&N filter, and Boyesen power Reeds.

Old 04-09-2001, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

I have the HPD Trail pipe which is basically the equivalent to the RCR. I ordered the clutch kit that went with it. It came with a new primary spring and weights. The best thing I did after was to add the Roller Clutch.

The clutch kit does have a lot to do with power delivery. I found out because when my dealer installed the pipe they had the wrong helix in the secondary and my ride was a dog. Upon re-installing the stock helix it was a whole new machine. Give Rick a call and he will set you up.

Old 04-10-2001, 12:28 AM
Range Rover

Yeah it look's like that will have to be your next step in search of more speed! By the way the Xpress is up and running just waiting for a couple more part's so that it will be top of the line condition again. Right now it look's like a bigger Trailboss Personaly I like the look but dad want's it stock so I guess it will be looking normal by this weekend. Right now I think the river Pasture will be getting a remake since it's under water were we ride

Old 04-10-2001, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

I had the Stage 1 kit. My local Polaris mechanic talked me into trying the complete HPD clutch kit. The difference between just one spring and the whole kit was night and day. I replaced the RcR components (pipe, silencer), with HPD shortly thereafter. I couldn't be happier.

Old 04-11-2001, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

TheQuadfather,

I would have went with HPD, but I couldn't aford $230 for chrome pipe and $200 for a clutch kit. I know they have VERY good products-but they are spendy. Same goes for HSP.

Can Rick Ritter set me up with a complete clutch kit for my RCR mid-range pipe? I am sure it will run better with the complete clutch kit. I want to keep my RCR pipe as it looks nice with the Jet Hot coating. Thanks.

'96 Scrambler w/RCR Stage 1 Kit, K&N filter, and Boyesen Power Reeds.

Old 04-11-2001, 02:59 PM
Pro Rider

I was refering to the $80 kit from HPD.

Remember, you get what you pay for.

Old 04-11-2001, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

If Your gonna clutch it do it right the first time. Get the aggressive kit from HPD for $155 it gives you a new helix too. It will work great with any trail type pipe but is most effective with the hpd pipes because they are tuned for them. Either spend the money now or you'll end up spending more later by doing it little by little.
Also when you decide to port it later you won't have to change the clutch again. (you will port it trust me)

Just my advice
Once you start to mod you can't stop!

Old 04-11-2001, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

My opinion here: The whole 155$ clutch kit with helix is a great idea but... if you plan on getting a Roller clutch in the future you will just have wasted the old helix. I went for the 85$ clutch kit from HPD and it was tremendous...even more so when I added the Roller afterwards.

Quick Reply: Complete clutch kits-worth wild mod?