Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear springs on SP500

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-1999, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at adjusting my spring tension on my SP500. The back end sags when my wifes on the back...???.. The tool is provided in the tool pouch, however will not budge the spring adjuster. Is a Spring compressor needed or am I overlooking the obvious.
Will adjusting the spring fix my problem ?
Any help ?????

99 SP500&335

Old 09-27-1999, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stewart,remove both rear wheels for better access and grab a huge pair of channel locks,next turn them to whatever notch you need them at.You sure the shocks are ok?My bro is 260 lbs,and with his big mamma[wife] on the back[250lbs]of my 99 Sportsman,it dont sag at all and is set at the mildest setting.Although,I dont let them ride it together anymore,everything has it;s limits.The tool they give you in the kit is a piece of crap.BILL

Old 09-27-1999, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

Stewart; Find yourself a piece of pipe about 3feet long that will fit over the handle end of the spanner wrench that comes with the 4 wheeler this will give you the leverage that you need to turn the adjustment. Thats how I do it. but be careful and make sure the wrench is in the notches on the adjuster.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-27-1999, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. Will adjusting this make a noticeable difference ?
Will this keep the machine level with 2 people or just give me a stiffer ride ?
Thanks,
SS

Old 09-27-1999, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Stewart; In regards to your question about changing the ride it will make a diffrence. I am a small guy 135lbs. When we trail ride I drop my spring rate to the lowest position to soften the rear end and give a little better ride. When I run it in a higher setting and get in rough stuff it tends to bounce me around a little more than I like ...But... I increase the sring rate during our Fall hunting and farming season as I use the 4wheeler for hauling around our green fields. It helps to keep the rear end of the quad from sagging under load which is what I assume you are trying to accomplish.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-27-1999, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey,
Thanks for the information. I'm going to give it a try.

Old 04-02-2000, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Hello fellows I would like to hear different ideas of how you have your springs set...I am particularly interested in setting the springs for climbing steep inclines with 2 people on and keeping the front end down...should I go all the way and compress the spring or leave it loose in the last setting...

Old 04-02-2000, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider

Hey not trying to start a fight here, but climbing steep hills with two people on. Come on we don,t need another statistic for them burocraits to hold over our heads, we don,t need you gettig hurt or the passenger getting hurt. It happens way to quick to jump. Thats just my opinion but you can take it for what it is worth!!!!

Old 04-02-2000, 03:19 AM
Pro Rider

I am not trying to start a fight either but if I wanted to hear lectures I would have stayed home with my mom and dad...and don't take this wrong but I really don't need to hear your opinion on this, I know my limitations, I work a job everyday that is a lot more dangerous than 4 wheeling. So in a nice way keep your lectures for yourself or somebody else. If you want to ride logging roads and if you can't handle a big bike don't belittle someone who can in other words mind your own business...you must one of those 3 wheel drive owners.

Old 04-02-2000, 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

No bill i was the one who was going to sell you the 40 mm carb and no i don,t ride 3 wheel drives and for your hill climbing while riding double have fun.

Quick Reply: Rear springs on SP500