Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

scrambler 500 problems help ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 07:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default scrambler 500 problems help ?

well i brought my atv to the mechanic they cant figure out what is wrong with it i made a thread on here couple weeks ago and got some good help but need more im pretty much back to where i started so ill say my problems again the quad starts right up runs great for about 20-30 mins then when its warmed up/hot it starts bogging out when i give it throttle i can stop and it will idle just fine but as soon as i start going again it starts bogging if i let it cool down for like an hour it runs great again until its warmed up no hot temp light, and its also spraying coolant out the overflow while hot BOTH problems happen around the same time but the bogging usally happens first adn these problems happen every single ride some times right away some times it takes awhile

its not leeking out of the pump weep hole
i cant see any coolant in oil or oil in coolant
the spark plug was pretty black with soot
my regulator has a burnt wire that i have to replace its completely toast (the wire)
atv dosent smoke what so ever not at all
my battery is having problems when quad is idleing it dosent go to 14 v
it died on me while i took it for a half hour ride i got home and it wouldent start had to recharge it

any help would be super awsome thanks in advance atv is a 2000 polaris scrambler 500 4x4 dont know history of the quad just bought it like a month ago

Old 08-12-2015, 12:29 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the regulator is trashed also, isn't charging 14 volts back to the battery could be what's happening. Battery has to have a good charge for the fan to work properly to keep it cool. Plus have the battery load tested since a bad regulator can cause one to constantly drain down and cells can short out.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay Plus being that the machine is new to you I'd do a front to rear service.You may need to bleed any trapped air out of the cooling system also. Just leave the radiator cap off and let the fan cycle on and off several times. Top off the coolant,replace the cap. If you need a service manual here's a cheap one that can help.http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264163829/9

Old 08-12-2015, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If the regulator is trashed also, isn't charging 14 volts back to the battery could be what's happening. Battery has to have a good charge for the fan to work properly to keep it cool. Plus have the battery load tested since a bad regulator can cause one to constantly drain down and cells can short out.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay Plus being that the machine is new to you I'd do a front to rear service.You may need to bleed any trapped air out of the cooling system also. Just leave the radiator cap off and let the fan cycle on and off several times. Top off the coolant,replace the cap. If you need a service manual here's a cheap one that can help.DOWNLOAD 1999-2000 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

hey opt i did the let it idle with cap off at first it was bubbleing abit little tiny bubbles not lots maby like 1 or 2 here and there and then it started flowing like a stream and gulped a bit of coolant toped it off rode it still sprayed coolant and what do you think would be causing the bogging that voltage reg ? i can do what you said before and put new bullet conecters on it

Old 08-12-2015, 02:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Is the fan cycling on and off? Plus like I mentioned if you're just running off battery voltage with the regulator wire burnt,all this does is just run the battery down to where the fan may not kick on in time to stop over heating. This may be the problem,still may have trapped air,etc.Just get the charging system fixed first along with checking the battery out as it works hand and hand with the cooling system fan.It may have other problems,but eliminate one thing at a time.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Is the fan cycling on and off? Plus like I mentioned if you're just running off battery voltage with the regulator wire burnt,all this does is just run the battery down to where the fan may not kick on in time to stop over heating. This may be the problem,still may have trapped air,etc.Just get the charging system fixed first along with checking the battery out as it works hand and hand with the cooling system fan.It may have other problems,but eliminate one thing at a time.

ok sounds good i will do that can i ask one more questiiion ? if my head gasket is blown or leaking will it cause the coolant to spray out and cause the engine to bogg out / back fire when appyling more throttle

Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Fix the charging problem first.You can do a radiator pressure test to check for any leaking,if bleeding the cooling system doesn't help. Look around the bottom of the water pump cavity at the weep hole to see if it's dry. If it's wet around it and the bash plate area,the w/p seal is leaking.Hopefully it's ok and the charging system is causing all your problems.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:04 AM
Range Rover

Fix the charging problem first.You can do a radiator pressure test to check for any leaking,if bleeding the cooling system doesn't help. Look around the bottom of the water pump cavity at the weep hole to see if it's dry. If it's wet around it and the bash plate area,the w/p seal is leaking.Hopefully it's ok and the charging system is causing all your problems.

ok the mechanic did a rad pressure test said he left it on all night and no drop in pressure but i have alot of ppl saying i may or may not have a blown gasket thats why i ask if that could be the casue of my bogging and coolant problems

Old 08-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the pressure didn't drop you don't have a blown head gasket... Battery condition affects the fan operation,charging system affects the battery,so take care of that first with the regulator. Lift the front end up with the tires off the ground a couple inches or so,leave the cap off,squeeze the hoses and let it idle until the fan kicks on and of several times to help remove any trapped air. Top off the coolant and replace the cap..

Old 08-14-2015, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

If the pressure didn't drop you don't have a blown head gasket... Battery condition affects the fan operation,charging system affects the battery,so take care of that first with the regulator. Lift the front end up with the tires off the ground a couple inches or so,leave the cap off,squeeze the hoses and let it idle until the fan kicks on and of several times to help remove any trapped air. Top off the coolant and replace the cap..
ok so far orderd voltage reg and will put a new bullete connecter on burnt wire connected to the wire harness (the wire burnt on the voltage reg is the yellow with red stripe) any idea what that could lead to ?

while im waiting for that what side/where is the weep hole exactly

and when getting air out of the system can i put the atv on a ramp cuz i dont have a jack or anything llike that wich tubes do i squeez ? and when topping off coolant do you mean once it burps put coolant in the rad ?

and since im gunna waait a week or so for the part ..do you have any idea as to where i should start with the bogging problem? as for that like i said it runs awsome for about half hour then starts bogging back firing still idles mint but when throttle is applied bogs back fires any things to cheack while waiting ?

Old 08-15-2015, 05:24 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by scram5050

while im waiting for that what side/where is the weep hole exactly

and when getting air out of the system can i put the atv on a ramp cuz i dont have a jack or anything llike that wich tubes do i squeez ? and when topping off coolant do you mean once it burps put coolant in the rad ?

and since im gunna waait a week or so for the part ..do you have any idea as to where i should start with the bogging problem? as for that like i said it runs awsome for about half hour then starts bogging back firing still idles mint but when throttle is applied bogs back fires any things to cheack while waiting ?
Weep hole is on the right hand side of the engine under the water pump cavity. Ramp is fine to lift the front end up. Check that both hoses are warm. Also check that the back of the radiator around the fan area is clean,No build up of dirt or mud. This was another common area for heating problems. On a machine new to you best to have a manual so you can have some guidance on service,repairs,trouble shooting.DOWNLOAD 1999-2000 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ... Again this may be happening because it's not charging and keeping the battery up..Once that's fixed it may solve the problem you're having. If it doesn't,there are trouble shooting guides in the manual for electrical and mechanical problems.While you're waiting on the regulator check the cam for lobe wear. Should have the Ho cam,but one of the symptoms of cam lobe wear was good idle,but backfiring when any throttle was applied. Look at this post.http://forums.atvconnection.com/pola...d-cam-pic.html

Quick Reply: scrambler 500 problems help ?