Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 scrambler cv boot

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 scrambler cv boot

is it possible to replace the cv boot without removing the hub?

Old 10-12-2015, 04:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Nope.. And don't fall for one of those split boots that are on ebay. Thev're junk. Plus stay with oem boots.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

ive got the oem boot, guess its a good time to check out the hillard and armature plate...BUT, i was told the axle shaft was just being held into the cv joint by a circlip and could be popped out and if lined up properly that it would slide and pop back in...

Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just use a hammer and tap on the back of the cv joint. It'll pop off. Slide the new boot on and turn the cv joint and you can feel the splines line up on the shaft. Best to knock it back on with a dead blow hammer if you have one so you don't damage the threads. Just look at this old Honda Civic. Cv joint comes off the same way and back on.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Never tried it on a Polaris but I just did my Yamaha inner front boot without removing the hub. I just removed the outer cv boot and slipped the new inner cv boot on and put the outer back on.
Not sure why it would not work on a Polaris.

Old 10-12-2015, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Never tried it on a Polaris but I just did my Yamaha inner front boot without removing the hub. I just removed the outer cv boot and slipped the new inner cv boot on and put the outer back on.
Not sure why it would not work on a Polaris.
im not seeing why id have to remove hub either pop off lower ball joint and maybe tie-rod and should pop out of cv right?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 1ArmBandit
im not seeing why id have to remove hub either pop off lower ball joint and maybe tie-rod and should pop out of cv right?
You can do it,BUT it's a bear to get to the inner clamp on the cv to tighten it down since it sits in the deep well portion of the strut. Plus it's not a snap to line the splines back up this way.Believe me I've tried it this way too cuz I love short cuts when they work,but for me it was a pain in the azz..

Old 10-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

when i get to it tomorrow and decide to take the hub off, when putting it back together its says to grease everything..will this grease be fine(ive been using it in all my zerks) Green Grease | Waterproof Green Grease! ...or by having things greased, does it mean to have everything soaking in hub fluid? is the grease going to jive with the hub fluid?

Old 10-12-2015, 07:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I never even used grease to tell the truth.. I just soaked the bearings in hub fluid and installed them. If you lather grease on the bearings all it does is take a good while for it to melt and can interfere with the awd kicking in and out. If you're bound and determined to use grease,any good grease will work as most are lithium based greases anyway. Just "lightly" coat a bearing if you do,don't slather it on like this guy.

Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

thanks again!

Quick Reply: 98 scrambler cv boot