Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

WHICH IS BETTER 500 or 400 scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-1999, 10:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to sell what seems to me as my underpowered 300 honda 4x4 so i can get either a 400 or 500 scrambler. I know the 400 is a 2 stroke and i was just wondering do two stroke polaris quads blow up as easy as blasters,250r's etc. Has anyone who rides their quad hard that has a 2 stroke polaris that blew it up and has had it for about 2 years. I donn't plan on riding it hard but if it will take the beating of a hard rider it will take mine. thanks a lot

Old 09-30-1999, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

I own both a '99 500 & 400. I love them both. My wife & I ride alot. Both are dependable, well-rounded machines that consistently outshine the other machines we ride with, with the exception of towing, which I do not intend to do any of. But, my brother has a 300 4x4 honda and hooked bumper to bumper, one can not budge the other. They are the fastest bikes we ride with, go through the mud better than the bikes we ride with, handle as well or better than the bikes we ride with, look better than most quads, and are simply all around great bikes. If I had to sell one & keep the other, I don't know which it would be. Keep them maintained, & you will not be disappointed.

Jerome Coker

Old 09-30-1999, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

If I were to choose I would have to go with the 4oo, simply because its as fast if not faster than the 500. Its easier to and less expensive to do modifications such as a pie or head mods. I have the 99 sport and love it. I wold not trade it for anything. You can' beat the handling or the ease of driving, if you do not need the 4wd the sport is the one i would go with its faster and lighter. just my thoughts though

Old 09-30-1999, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

When i was looking at the polaris line up to see what quad i was going to buy i kind of wondered why they make so many 2 stoke models. Unfortunatly the salespeople i spoke with at a couple of places did not have an intelligent answer to explain this. Since i am not really a fan of 2 strokes because of reliability issues and the task of mixing gas i ignored the 400 sport and scrambler. 500cc, 4 stroke, 4x4 i'll take it. Had i known that Polaris is known for it's 2 stroke reliability and that the 400's are oil injected i would have bought the 400 scrambler instead. Besides i would have saved $500 and the scrambler 400 is 52 lbs lighter than the scrambler 500 and you can get 60 HP out of the 400's with no problem.

I don't know how often the 400's have to be rebuilt but i have not heard of them blowing up.

Chris Picciotto
99 Scrambler 500 ( With Mods )

Old 09-30-1999, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

Hate to disappoint you Ford400 but.....

The 500 is faster. Light pole to light pole, even 2 light poles, maybe even 3 light poles apart, the 500 is faster. It is faster than the Sport. Eventually the 400 Scrambler will catch it & pass it, but in the real world, who really races for miles at a time. In my experience, the 400 scrambler is faster than the 400 Sport. When you come to an open stretch in the trail, or have to make a short run down the highway to get to trails, the 500 is faster. But, the 400 (in my opinion) does handle better and I can carry it through the woods faster than the 500. Strange huh? I think its a weight issue. I ride aggressive. The 400 has hurt me more than the 500. Just my experience.

Jerome Coker

Old 09-30-1999, 05:09 PM
Range Rover

Jerome, It hurts ya, so that's why your buying your wife new plastic.

I like the 500 alot better just because of the low end torque. Everytime I ride the 2 strokes I am in a hurry to get back on mine, I don't like how you have to ride it (in the powerband) but this does depend on where you ride and how. For tight woods I personally would rather be on the 500 thumper but on wide open trails or sand it would be the 400. Every two stroke polaris I have been on which is about every model except trail blazer I didn't care for, I don't like the feel of the polaris 2stroke. I love the feel of the banshee though. Do you want a zing, zing, zing or a THUMP, THUMP, THUMP? ****Scramblers are the very best all-around atv by far****

Later, Steve

[This message has been edited by myscrambler (edited 09-30-1999).]

Old 09-30-1999, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I beg to differ with you Jerrome. My family has boththe sport and the scrambler 500. The sport is mine and the 500 is my dads. When we ride or race I always win maybe its the wasy he rides??? But also when I get on the scrambler it feels sorta slugish compared to my sport, The sport also out handels the scrambler. I have done some mods to the sport ie, big pipe, jets k&n clutch spring, and ported head, but when they were both bone stock the sport was the fastest machine, not neccessary the best but undoubtly the fastest. As for the question about the scrambler 400 and 500 I really do not know because I have never ridden a 400, but on this web site there is a review that you might check out, It clearly states that the old 500 couldn't toch the 400, so the polaris guys had to modify it so it would. The and only then Would it Run AS FAST!!! Some of the thigs in this writing were based soley on my experience, which i believe to be true, also some was based on writen facts on this web site and others. One more thing if a 4wd is much faster than a 2wd why not convert the banshee to it.

Old 09-30-1999, 07:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I beg to differ with you Jerrome. My family has boththe sport and the scrambler 500. The sport is mine and the 500 is my dads. When we ride or race I always win maybe its the wasy he rides??? But also when I get on the scrambler it feels sorta slugish compared to my sport, The sport also out handels the scrambler. I have done some mods to the sport ie, big pipe, jets k&n clutch spring, and ported head, but when they were both bone stock the sport was the fastest machine, not neccessary the best but undoubtly the fastest. As for the question about the scrambler 400 and 500 I really do not know because I have never ridden a 400, but on this web site there is a review that you might check out, It clearly states that the old 500 couldn't toch the 400, so the polaris guys had to modify it so it would. The and only then Would it Run AS FAST!!! Some of the thigs in this writing were based soley on my experience, which i believe to be true, also some was based on writen facts on this web site and others. One more thing if a 4wd is much faster than a 2wd why not convert the banshee to it.

------------------

Weekend Warrior

------------------

Weekend Warrior

------------------

Quick Reply: WHICH IS BETTER 500 or 400 scrambler