Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 11 Sportsman xp 850 Eps jumped with truck, melted VR

Hey folks,

Well with my first post i had a question from Cleveland Ohio

I have a 2011 Sportsman 850 XP EPS.

Beginning a year or so ago i had problems keeping a charge on my battery and i would use my F-350 to jump my bike. (I say this because i didn't know it was a big NO NO)

First thing to happen was the EPS.. stopped working.... Fine.

Then i could never keep a charge on the bike... few days yes... a month or two ...no. So.. as i stated earlier i would use the truck to jump it... my jump box at the time was junk and couldn't even turn the motor over. I had replaced the battery twice and just got completely fed up and let the bike sit for most of the summer.

so roughly 3 weeks ago i try and jump the quad and it starts but as soon as i go to winch in the bike dies.... i jump it again and boom.... i melt the epoxy resin inside the voltage regulator to the point where it drips on the radiator. I have no power, no jump and the unswitch fuse blows.

I tried one more fuse before i knew it was the voltage regulator.

So today i get a brand new voltage regulator and install it... still no power and i keep blowing Unswitched 10amp fuses.... unless the ecu is unplugged.

My question is if anyone has any ideas as to what else could have been killed with the voltage regulator? Ecu? Harness?

I have tried to disconnect as many electrical connections as possible and put the power cable (the ring terminal with 3 or 4 positive wires on it) to the battery and the fuse still pops... not a flicker of hope.

I have tried Denatured alchohol to clean and dialectric grease on all possible connectors.

I have visually traced the wires the best i can but they are pretty well covered in wireloom.

Could i have burnt a wire under the loom and somehow shorting?

Can the ECU and other sensors be tested at the dealer?

Im lost at this point.. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Update ---- Connected all fuses but disconnected the ECU and the cluster comes on. No lights or anything except for the cluster.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

At this point yes Digital Wrench can test the modules and at least point you in the right direction with less stress and hair pulling.Hopefully it can pin point the problem. I guess no one has to tell you to keep the F-350 away from it in the future..

Old 12-04-2015, 04:18 AM
Trailblazer

I will never jump the quad with my truck again.. lol... i have a feeling a bad battery, connections or stator caused me to start jumping the bike which led to this. It became a progressive issue and just got worse over time. I could jump the bike, get it started... run it.. let it sit a few days and the battery be dead just to jump it again.

Who knows what havoc was wreaked on the charging system and EPS that doesn't work.

Thanks for the feedback - i ordered the ECU yesterday but i may drop it off to have it tested.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I jumped my quad off my truck once without causing any damage (that I was aware of). I guess I got lucky. Mine has a pull start on it too so I can use that.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Less likely to destroy electronics when jumping the battery on the magneto triggered ignition systems like the older Sportsman 500s and such,but on the newer atvs dci ignition systems where the battery current is needed to power the ignition,voltage spikes from jumping from another battery can cause damage to the electronics pretty quick especially from larger batteries.Plus jumping batteries from vehicles that are running can cause even more damage.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

Update ---- Fixed by replacing the ECM. I opened the original computer and there were no damage or smells so it was very subtle.

Old 12-08-2015, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by infinity06
Update ---- Fixed by replacing the ECM. I opened the original computer and there were no damage or smells so it was very subtle.
Lucky dog! Could have been worse.