Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 700 Twin carb model Stator Ohms

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 700 Twin carb model Stator Ohms

2004 Sportsman 700 twin carb date of build 12-3-04

Old Polaris Tech..... What is the ohms for the stator for this bike?

I read over @ Polaris ATV forum that you might be the one to ask.

Background:
I was having a problem with the battery having to be charged after riding a few days and the battery flashing on the pod. (Battery flashing mostly)In searching that forum....I came to the conclusion that I had a bad voltage regulator.
I checked the battery voltage....12.5/12.8.
I checked to see if the battery voltage would rise when RPM's were raised....no.
There is voltage at the VR on the solid red wire. (12.?)
I have ordered one (VR) from my supplier BUT it is wire colored different. The red, brown are easily connected....but the yellows are where I'm a little lost. The 3 yellows....don't match up.
old one-----------------------------------------------new one
yellow w/red----------------------------------------- yellow
yellow ---------------------------------------------- yellow w/ red
yellow -----------------------------------------------yellow w/ red

I called my supplier and he didn't know and said to call where he got it from. (Rick's Motorsports Electronics up in NH) So I did, but they are closed till after the holidays.
I will have to look at the new one to see if they come out in the same spots. I'm thinking the above is how they will hook back up. I plan on calling "Ricks" on Monday.
I know that there is 2 circuits coming from the stator.....lights etc & ignition. But somewhere I was told to ck my stator too. This is where I'm at now. Trying to save time by checking my stator while I wait to make the call to "Ricks".
Got a "Fieldpiece" multi-meter to check the ohms with.
Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Hump

PS...I posted this info over there also but got no follow-ups.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't have the manual on the first year Kokusan stator,but here's one for 5 bucks if needed.2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download On the regulator just match up the one yellow and yellow/red. The other yellow/red goes to the remaining connection no matter what the color. See if that works and it charges ok.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the response. I'll try and hook it up when I get back to the house....working today (19 hrs) Will most like be Sunday before I can do it. I'll post back and let you know.

I already have a manual....but it doesn't show the insides of the VR.
I will say that the wires coming from the stator is a single yellow and (2) yellow's w/ red dashes. AND is not grounded.
I added some pics showing where I tested the stator.

Hump

Attached Thumbnails 2004   700  Twin  carb model  Stator Ohms-stator-test-1-.jpg   2004   700  Twin  carb model  Stator Ohms-stator-test-2-.jpg  
Old 01-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can do a resistance test on the stator yellows. Should be a small amount of resistance between each other and no wire should short to ground. Just a generalized test that's fairly accurate. Regulators changed a couple times before they went to the first ecm module in 2005. The stator plate is grounded,but the brown ground wire from it goes to the group of browns gathered at the coil mount if I remember correctly..The brown vr wire is just a common ground point which includes the stator ground along with the rest of the grounds..

Last edited by old polaris tech; 01-01-2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Stator ground
Old 01-01-2016, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT....in one of the other threads, you posted a video bout up-grading the ignition system. I read that its for the Du-cat-I (spelling) system. That its for the early 04 yr model. You mention in this thread that mine is a "Kokusan". Is a up grade something I should look at doing. My bike seems to/was running O>K prior to me starting on this regulator repair.
Thanks,
hump

Old 01-01-2016, 11:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT...( getting my post count up ) Once I get the regulator on and its running....what should my idle be? I'm thinking 1000/1100.

thanks,
hump.

P.S......I got another ? Should I start another thread on it. ( Choke cable)

Old 01-02-2016, 06:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Around 1150-1180 rpms on average. If you have the later build date as you said(12/3/04) you should already have the Kokusan ignition and there is no update for it. One way to check is to see if you have a separate coil and cdi module. That's the Kokusan. Ducati had the coil and cdi built together. You can continue with any problems you have here. No sense in making a new post.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

OPT...good morning from here in Memphis.

That other question was....the choke cable, its been hard to work for yrs. Kinda from the first day. After chasing the cable down, I notice that it comes straight out the side of the carb over to the frame rail and makes a 90* up to the front pod. I have re-routed it. I raised the gas tank and moved it a little further up the rail so it doesn't make as hard of a bend. It seems to work better but I was thinking I might as well replace it. My only thing is when I undo the jam nut there at the carb....will it just slide out OR is there more to it? Do I need to get inside the carb and disconnect anything?

As far as the wires on the stator goes, ( the yellows / reds ) I have not tried what you said to do yet. Got back in to late from my hunting club to fool with it and back at work now. But I did give Ricks a call this morning.....they got to get a tech to call me back. I'm betting what you said is going to be correct. Hopefully, I'll know if its back to charging correctly by this time tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
hump/Phil

Old 01-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Choke plunger can get gummed up over the years and either hard to works or it can get stuck. Best to unscrew the nut,pull the plunger out and clean it off. May have to use penetrant if the choke is stuck. Looks similar to this type.

Attached Thumbnails 2004   700  Twin  carb model  Stator Ohms-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 01-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's what I was looking for. Just back that nut out and remove the plunger and clean up. I didn't want the thang to come apart when I took it off the carb.

Thanks,
Hump

Quick Reply: 2004 700 Twin carb model Stator Ohms