Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Another Polaris AWD Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Polaris AWD Question

Got a 2004 Polaris 600 Sportsman, AWD not working. I have drained the front diff fluid, did not see any chunks of anything come out, but fluid has a nice metallic sheen to it. The driveshaft from the trans is spinning all the time, don't know if it is only supposed to that in awd or not. The speedometer works, all except for the mph, all indicators and lights work. When the switch is turned to on, the awd indicator shuts off, and when the switch is turned to off, the indicator comes on. When I turn the key on, machine not running, and hold the override button, the awd indicator blinks 1 time slowly and repeatedly. With the machine running I have no awd in any direction at any speed. Where is the connector to test for voltage, is it by the trans or up by the diff. Any help would be great!

Old 01-08-2016, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

Also, where is the hub coil connector so I can look for voltage on the brw/w wire. I only see one connector on the trans with 5 wires and none of them are that color

Old 01-08-2016, 04:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Connectors up from the front diff. You might check if you're getting power to the diff power wire while key is on,awd button in and in gear. If you have power going to the coil,but no awd even in reverse,you might try to splice a larger wire to regound the diff ground wire to a better ground position. If that doesn't help you can jump the brown/white(ground) wire in the speedo harness to the brown wire in the harness which eliminates the awd going through the speedo. If mileage or speed doesn't register it's usually because of a shorted out hall sensor mounted on the right front brake caliper. If nothing helps on restoring the awd,could be a mechanical problem with the plastic roller cage known for cracking.This I'd replace with a newer aluminum roller cage.Polaris Sportsman 600 700 Aluminum Front Differential Roll Cage 3234167 3234455 | eBay

Old 01-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Connectors up from the front diff. You might check if you're getting power to the diff power wire while key is on,awd button in and in gear. If you have power going to the coil,but no awd even in reverse,you might try to splice a larger wire to regound the diff ground wire to a better ground position. If that doesn't help you can jump the brown/white(ground) wire in the speedo harness to the brown wire in the harness which eliminates the awd going through the speedo. If mileage or speed doesn't register it's usually because of a shorted out hall sensor mounted on the right front brake caliper. If nothing helps on restoring the awd,could be a mechanical problem with the plastic roller cage known for cracking.This I'd replace with a newer aluminum roller cage.Polaris Sportsman 600 700 Aluminum Front Differential Roll Cage 3234167 3234455 | eBay
So, the brown and white is a ground. You are suggesting tapping in to that wire between the hub and the switch with a better heavier ground. Also, potentially, cutting the brown and white wire at the speedo connector and going straight to the switch at the handlebar. Just want to make sure I have it straight in my head...

Old 01-09-2016, 08:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by brinkkl2000
So, the brown and white is a ground. You are suggesting tapping in to that wire between the hub and the switch with a better heavier ground. Also, potentially, cutting the brown and white wire at the speedo connector and going straight to the switch at the handlebar. Just want to make sure I have it straight in my head...
Most models the brown/white is the ground wire for the hub awd systems and also ground for the centralized awd like yours. Not sure on your model as to the two wire colors at the front diff.. If brown/white is the ground wire,then you could jump this wire to the frame and see if the awd works. Also the awd ground path runs through the speedo first. This is where some have just jumped the speedo harness awd ground(brown/white) to the solid brown wire(common frame ground) bypassing the speedo entirely.This at times restores awd function "IF" a bad ground is the problem. If this doesn't help,then possibly it's a mechanical problem with the plastic roll cage. Really best to have the wiring schematic if you're having problems that can really show how every things hooked up. For 5 bucks you can't beat having a service manual.2004 Polaris Sportsman 600 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Trailblazer

I did get it "working" don't have all the bugs out yet. I believe it is a ground issue. Do you have any idea why the indicator would show opposite of switch position? Switch is off, indicator is on and vice versa, or could that be a ground issue as well.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Either a ground problem or you may have wired something backwards?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

still having issues with this one. the guy I am working on it for wants it fixed right, not just wired so it works. is there any way to test the switch? there is continuity between e and f at the switch but it still doesn't kick in and out. in diagnostic mode, the switch is always showing off, it will flicker on to off, but essentially it stays off. I don't necessarily want to buy a $150 switch just guessing that that is what is wrong. does this sound like a switch issue to you? according to the flow chart in the manual I have it nailed down to wiring or switch issue as the speedo is functioning properly, but the book doesn't show how to test the switch.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Just from my experience I've never had to replace an awd switch itself. It's always been either the thin wire ground issue or a mechanical problem(roll cage) in the front diff. With your machine being erratic,awd off and on still seems to me like a grounding issue rather than the switch itself,BUT I could be wrong. Switches are a little cheaper ($108) at Cycle Parts Warehouse or one on ebay that says interchanges with part# 2010337 your model updates to for $80 but you'd still be taking a chance. Polaris Throttle Assembly 01 03 P N 2010205 2010337 | eBay Entirely up to you on this one.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Just from my experience I've never had to replace an awd switch itself. It's always been either the thin wire ground issue or a mechanical problem(roll cage) in the front diff. With your machine being erratic,awd off and on still seems to me like a grounding issue rather than the switch itself,BUT I could be wrong. Switches are a little cheaper ($108) at Cycle Parts Warehouse or one on ebay that says interchanges with part# 2010337 your model updates to for $80 but you'd still be taking a chance. Polaris Throttle Assembly 01 03 P N 2010205 2010337 | eBay Entirely up to you on this one.
Thanks again for the help, sorry if I am being redundant. Would there be any other indications of a broken roller cage. When I think of something broken I think noises, clunking, or not working at all. The wiring diagram is confusing with so many wires going to so many places and indicator lights

Quick Reply: Another Polaris AWD Question