Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1991 polaris Trailboss "backfire"

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 polaris Trailboss "backfire"

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can lead me in the right direction or has the solution to this problem.

A couple days ago, I was scrubbing down the 4wheeler. I had it running and all of a sudden it just cut off. I then... killed the battery and my arm trying to restart it.no sucess after wash

Yesterday and today...I got it going. It would idle a couple seconds then backfire out the air box or the muffler and die out. If I get on the throttle and take it for a ride it doesnt do this...unless I release the throttle whilst coasting.

I RULED OUT:
The gas-emptied tank and carb and refilled with fresh mix.
The plug-cleaned checked for spark
The compression has been 130 since topend and when I ...checked it was around 125 hot.

So im assuming its gotta be in the carb, but idk how thats possible. I rebuilt that a couple months ago to....these gum up that quickly? Reasoning for emptying the fuel, was the thought of water in the fuel but that wasnt the case either. From what im reading its probably a dirty pilot jet ....but I feel it might be something else. Any more thoughts would be cool. Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

If you were scrubbing it down and it died,I'd pull electrical connectors under the front panel and use compressed air to blow everything out. Don't over look water around the plug cap and the moisture on the terminal board. Plus water can get in through the recoil housing and stator area and cause problem there also.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its funny you mention the recoil housing because the recoil was acting up after the wash. I initially thought the water soaked the coil and its having trouble with spark and so I checked that first. I do have strong spark. Also figured that I shouldve gotten these results or worse when I was wheeling in the snow a month ago... The quad ran like a tank through that slurpee! Its having more trouble now, from a little garden hose water. Jeeze...

Anyways ill do as you said...plan on cleaning the carb up again just as precautionary ...and hopefully that solves it! Fingers crossed