Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacement starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacement starter

I've got a 2000 Sportsman non HO and I'm needing a new starter. What is the best aftermarket starter at a decent price? I found a Moose for $189.99 anybody had any of these?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Caltric makes some starters for a fraction of the price but not for anything that old AFAIK. The quality probably isn't that great on a $35 starter anyway.

ETA: I know there are better starters at a decent price but I can't remember the brand. I keep coming up blank.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:59 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

DB Electrical is a good source. If I remember correctly, Old Polaris Tech was the one who told me about them. Here's one for $51 with free shipping. Might want to check but it says it fits a 2000 Sportsman 500 DB Electrical - STARTER DRIVE Combo POLARIS ATV 325 335 425 500 PA102 COMBO. Apparently the 500, 500 HO and 500 efi all use the same starter as it lists all 3 as matches for this one.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

DB electrical is where I ordered the starter that's on it now. I just recently rebuilt the four wheeler and was trying to get it running when it quit working. I hate to spend $200 on a factory starter but if the others won't last I may have to. It is possible that I just got a bad starter from them though. I'm gonna do a little more research on them and see what I find out. Thanks for the reply!!

Old 03-07-2016, 06:17 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rjarnold1987
DB electrical is where I ordered the starter that's on it now. I just recently rebuilt the four wheeler and was trying to get it running when it quit working. I hate to spend $200 on a factory starter but if the others won't last I may have to. It is possible that I just got a bad starter from them though. I'm gonna do a little more research on them and see what I find out. Thanks for the reply!!
If it's the starter for sure send it back. Even the cheapest one they have has a one year warranty. The so called "premium" starers have a two year warranty.DB Electrical - Polaris ATV Starter Drive COMBO 325 335 425 500 GOLD 2 Year With all the aftermarket parts out there today,entirely possible to have gotten a faulty one.Most reports I've heard on DB have been good on their starters. I've even had brand new batteries bad straight out of the box so anything is possible. Make sure the starter is getting power from the solenoid and that the starter bendix isn't causing the problem.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
If it's the starter for sure send it back. Even the cheapest one they have has a one year warranty. The so called "premium" starers have a two year warranty.DB Electrical - Polaris ATV Starter Drive COMBO 325 335 425 500 GOLD 2 Year With all the aftermarket parts out there today,entirely possible to have gotten a faulty one.Most reports I've heard on DB have been good on their starters. I've even had brand new batteries bad straight out of the box so anything is possible. Make sure the starter is getting power from the solenoid and that the starter bendix isn't causing the problem.

Thanks for the response!! After I posted the last reply I found the gold starter from DB electrical that your talking about and ordered it. The first one I ordered and installed turned the machine over extremely slow. It's got a brand new moose battery on it and still wouldn't turn it over without getting HOT. After letting the starter cool several times it finally just melted down. Hopefully the gold series's starter will turn it over like its suppose to.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Supposedly the windings in the gold series starters are heavier,or at least thats what I've read.. Hope you have better service from it..

Old 03-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Supposedly the windings in the gold series starters are heavier,or at least thats what I've read.. Hope you have better service from it..
Me too!! Thanks I sure appreciate it

Old 03-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope it works out well for you. I didn't realize they had a "gold" series. They certainly are much more expensive but if they're that much better, then I guess they are worth it. Still half the price of an oem starter.

Old 03-07-2016, 02:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by greg74
Hope it works out well for you. I didn't realize they had a "gold" series. They certainly are much more expensive but if they're that much better, then I guess they are worth it. Still half the price of an oem starter.
These are cheaper than what we could get after market starters from Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky at the shop while I was still working.We sold these for 150 bucks when we could get them. We had a tough time keeping those in stock as most people didn't have or didn't want to have to pay over 350-400 bucks or more for an oem starter and I can't blame them. Crazy high prices that Polaris charged the dealers for oem parts to begin with,but that's the same with any manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Replacement starter