Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Sportsman 500ho questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 12:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman 500ho questions and concerns

Hey guys,

So I bought a 2003 Sportsman 500HO. After riding it this weekend, I have some questions and concerns for some fixes that I hope you guys can chime in on.

To begin, I changed the spark plug as it had never been done. I also changed the oil with Mobil-1 0W-40 (2 qts)m took out the screen (was clean, no obstructions), primed the system, and changed the oil filter, and replaced the plastic washer on the drain plug. The next day, I noticed that it is dripping out of the drain plug on the oil reservior...how can I stop this leak?

Second, it likes to pull to the right when in 4WD (tire pressures are good). What could this be? I plan to change the front drive fluid soon.

On the weekend I hit some water (maybe 2ft, it was deep) then I noticed the belt was slipping and I took out the drainplug to find that there was water in there. It was a strip of water 25ft long, I wasn't in it for more than 30 seconds. What is the fix for that belt cover leak?

Lastly, where can I find all the grease spots for this bike?

Thanks guys!

Old 03-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Unless you over torqued the drain plug on the tank,the pressed in drain fitting's probably leaking from the po that probably did tighten it too much.This was a common problem as I've had some come in to the shop that the pressed in insert just spun completely around. A new or used tank is about the only way to fix this with some people reverting back to the old simple metal tanks.209 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 Oil Tank | eBay A magnetized armature plate can be the cause of the pulling to one side. As cheap as they are (8 bucks) best to just replace both sides as the other one may probably do the same thing later on.Armature Plate Fits Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 2000 2008 | eBay You might try draining the hubs and refilling with Demand Drive hub fluid and see it it helps first.
Most common leaks for the clutches is through the clutch to engine seal and the seal ring around the cover.Sticks can puncture the seal allowing quite a bit of water in. So can a worn seal around the cover. Items #9,23.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus here's the best help anyone can give you. A cheap 5 buck service manual that can pay for itself over and over on repairs and service.2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-30-2016, 07:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Unless you over torqued the drain plug on the tank,the pressed in drain fitting's probably leaking from the po that probably did tighten it too much.This was a common problem as I've had some come in to the shop that the pressed in insert just spun completely around. A new or used tank is about the only way to fix this with some people reverting back to the old simple metal tanks.209 1999 Polaris Sportsman 500 Oil Tank | eBay A magnetized armature plate can be the cause of the pulling to one side. As cheap as they are (8 bucks) best to just replace both sides as the other one may probably do the same thing later on.Armature Plate Fits Polaris Sportsman 500 6x6 2000 2008 | eBay You might try draining the hubs and refilling with Demand Drive hub fluid and see it it helps first.
Most common leaks for the clutches is through the clutch to engine seal and the seal ring around the cover.Sticks can puncture the seal allowing quite a bit of water in. So can a worn seal around the cover. Items #9,23.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus here's the best help anyone can give you. A cheap 5 buck service manual that can pay for itself over and over on repairs and service.2003 Polaris Sportsman 500 Service Manual PDF Download
Thanks, will look into this. On the plus side, I have a service manual already but thanks for the link!!