Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1990 TrailBoss 250

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 TrailBoss 250

Well, I must be a glutton for punishment because I'm gonna tackle another old two stroke. A buddy of mine just picked up a 1990 TrailBoss 250 4x4. He got it from a guy who had it stuffed in his garage for a few years and just sold it to get more room. He got it for $200 with a cycle country plow. The story behind it is this guy bought it for his wife from the original owner. The original owner primarily used it for plowing snow. The guy bought it and they took it for a ride and put a little over 30 miles and it died and wouldnt restart. My buddy bought it and called me to see if I would be interested in fixing it up for him so his son could use it. I had him pull the plastic off and we started with a compression test. A little over 110 lbs so it definitely needs a bore and piston. Checked spark and it was there, but a little light. I told him to tear it down so I could take the cylinder off and check rod and bearings. Once we find out what we need, he can get a carb kit, gaskets and seals when he gets the cylinder done. What else should I look for? Are these early 250's known for the plastic gear on the oil pump? If I have it tore down, that would be the time to change it. I'm hoping to get it rebuilt and reliable for him.

Another thing, what do people use to make the plastic on these older ATV's look good. This machine is in very good shape but faded. I have heard of furniture polish and other gimmicks, but what actually works? I work in the collision industry, but I dont make plastic shiny so I really dont know, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 04-03-2016, 11:34 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Check that rod out for sure! No worse feeling than to assemble one with new parts and have a rod bearing or crank bearing fly apart. On one this old,I'd still have a rod kit installed. Oil pump gear was metal on the 250s,now worries on that. Pledge,etc can help,but nothing really lasts as far as faded plastic. We used this at the shop and it helped bring back some luster on plastic parts.Plexus Plastic Cleaner Plus we did use something else,but can't remember,have to look it up..memory fades over time just like plastic does..