Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Sportsman 700 smoking

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 02 Sportsman 700 smoking

The other day My 02 Sportsman 700 started smoking.If I pull dipstick while running it blows oil out of it.
The hose from the valve cover to the breather is blowing oil into breather.
When you start it up cold it runs terrible.
Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
Thanks.

Old 04-03-2016, 06:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

First off don't pull the dip stick out of a running machine or you will get oil soaked.. Check the reed behind the vent cover for oil accumulation that can cause breather line blockage. Replace it if damaged.Item#3.Also the vent cover(item#2) can warp and cause problems. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse There are updated billet covers to help with this. 05 10 Polaris Sportsman Ranger Breather Update Leak Fix Fits 700 800 | eBay There was a TSB on this also.

Edit: Polaris has now released a TSB (Technical service bulletin) regarding this matter. The onus was put in the dealers hands to contact the customer in areas only where cold temps are seen on a regular basis. In general. Canada and the Northern States. I would not rely on your dealer contacting you as we all know how lazy some can be! If you own a 02, 03 or early 04, the TSB applies to you. If you have a 04 and are not sure, just look at the PCV hose which goes from the front of the airbox (left side) to the engine valve cover. If the hose is a plain black rubber hose and has a small in-line filter, you need to have it done. If the hose is a black rubber one but has a foil type insulation sleeve around it and no filter, then the mod is already done from the factory. You can see this hose by simply removing the seat.

The TSB is #S-03-05 and the part # is 2202744

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Polaris-...BWl4MP&vxp=mtr

PLUS there was a problem on the 02 to early 04 carb models with the Ducati ignition systems that can cause crappy running,etc.That is if you haven't had to install the updated ignition kit already. Take care of one thing at a time by addressing the crank case vent first..Cross that bridge when you come to it on an ignition problem.