1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

Cold Starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Starting

Hello
This is my first post.
I have been asked to rebuild a NF 200 Chinese quad at work. It was recovered as a non runner and I found a large section of head gasket blown out completely. One of the bolts was finger tight .
I have it back together and running but it won't run well from cold. I have blown out the complete carb . I am trying to work out just how the eletronic cold start aid works?
Does this have a permanent power supply to it?
There seems to be no power in the wires supplying it and if it's given power to the unit nothing seems to happen.
Just to be sure I fitted a new one but it still puzzles me just how this works
Any help appreciated .
Regard Ken

Old 02-16-2016, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-16-2016, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you very much for that. That explainers a lot. I guess the feed it if from a thermal switch fitted somewhere .
Thanks again Ken

Old 02-16-2016, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

No worries, Just report back on how it went.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 343 Likes on 334 Posts

Haven't checked the video, my internet is a bit slow, but it should explain that the feed for the electric choke heater comes from the alternator, so when the engine isn't running, no power, even if the ignition switch is left on.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Choke Information.

Thank you all for the information That makes sense now.

So I had the Quad running on Monday without the front plastic trim fitted and just the wires plugged into the speedo and switch housing. I had to unplug and remove that to get the front cowl/trim fitted but now I have lost the spark to the plug. I checked and double checked the wire connection and cant see a problem but my eyes are old now and its not that clear..
Are there any wiring diagrams available to view or download for these?
Am I correct that I need both brakes on and just the key on to make it run. There are no seat switches are they?
Oh It also don't have any headlights working. This came to me in bits so I don't know what was working before. Just makes me think I missed a connection somewhere

Regards Ken

Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

check the connections in the plugs. they are good for backing out when you plug them in. Also check the back of your key switch and make sure all the wires are connected to the board fully

Old 02-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Pro Rider

Usually it's the left brake handle needs to be pulled when starting these. My wifes 250 uses the foot brake for starting but I think this is a one off.

If you see some electrical wires going into your left brake handle then this confirms this.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default NF 200 cold starting and non starting

Well thank you all for your help.
I jacked it up so the wiring was accessible and unplugged and reconnected tight all wirng and Wow I have a spark. It didn't start very easy although it was firing and trying to start. Once warm it was fine.
I left it running for some time to charge the battery and test things and then it just stopped. No spark again? Do these have a thermal protection as I never heard the fan work and wondered if there was overheating safeguard. Once cooler it started again.
What are the two rectangular units the fan wires go to as these were hot?

I did manage to get a download of the manual but the wiring diagram is not good at all.

Regards Ken

Old 02-20-2016, 09:51 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I would say you have a bad wire some ware. since it had spark after you went through the harness and plugged everything back in. Check the back of the key switch. I had one that only had 1 strand of wire holding the wire on so looking at it sitting in the machine it looked fine.