Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

water pump - looks to be leaking from seal, maybe not weep hole

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 10:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump - looks to be leaking from seal, maybe not weep hole

water pump - looks to be leaking from seal, maybe not weep hole-img_0612.jpg

can i get some opinions on this? it looks like my water pump is leaking from the seal around the water pump housing to me...maybe not the weep hole. If you look in the pic, it is wet above where the weep hole is. I was thinking maybe i could try just replacing that gasket with this one Polaris 5812571 Seal Cover Waterpump | eBay

Has anyone used RTV instead? I had a local non-polaris shop repair this same thing exactly 1 year ago! maybe 600 miles since. ridiculous.

Old 05-15-2016, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does look to be the seal. Double check to make sure your water pump is still working properly-no use having to take it apart twice. I would go with the stock seal and add rtv for extra protection.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Wipe the area down with either denatured alcohol or even a little fast drying acetone and crank the engine up quickly. Should be able to tell if it's the gasket leaking or the w/p seal through the weep hole. If you're lucky and it's just the gasket, use a thin film of Ultra Blue or Permatex Water Pump rtv on the new gasket. Either one works great as I've used both.

Attached Thumbnails water pump - looks to be leaking from seal, maybe not weep hole-waterpump-rtv-silicone.jpg  
Old 05-15-2016, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider

water pump is really a easy fix

Old 05-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Wipe the area down with either denatured alcohol or even a little fast drying acetone and crank the engine up quickly. Should be able to tell if it's the gasket leaking or the w/p seal through the weep hole. If you're lucky and it's just the gasket, use a thin film of Ultra Blue or Permatex Water Pump rtv on the new gasket. Either one works great as I've used both.
turned out to be weep hole, but i'm going to use rtv also since i'll be installing a zerk on the weep hole this time to hopefully fix it awhile. so you put rtv on both sides of the gasket?

Old 05-18-2016, 06:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't block the weep hole as that's what it's for to alert you to any problems. Best to do it right and change out the water pump seal and oil seal while you're at it. It's a chore to do it right,but best to pull the stator and outer case and then then seals can just be knocked out and replaced.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

Wouldn't block the weep hole as that's what it's for to alert you to any problems. Best to do it right and change out the water pump seal and oil seal while you're at it. It's a chore to do it right,but best to pull the stator and outer case and then then seals can just be knocked out and replaced.
that is my plan. some people suggest putting a hollowed zerk or nipple on the weep and running a tube higher up the machine so it doesnt fill wuth dirt but still functions. and then hopefully the seal lasts longer than a year this time

Old 05-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If seals are going out frequently then sounds like the shaft may be bent causing it to eat up w/p seals. Did you pull the outer cover to replace the last one or did you do as some have done and pried out the water pump seal? If so that may be the source of the problem.

Old 05-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

If seals are going out frequently then sounds like the shaft may be bent causing it to eat up w/p seals. Did you pull the outer cover to replace the last one or did you do as some have done and pried out the water pump seal? If so that may be the source of the problem.
i had a local non-dealer place do it last year so i dont know. it takes them 5 weeks to get anything done so i was going to do it this time and also save the cash

Old 05-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by thippe
i had a local non-dealer place do it last year so i dont know. it takes them 5 weeks to get anything done so i was going to do it this time and also save the cash
Hope it holds up.. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: water pump - looks to be leaking from seal, maybe not weep hole