Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hours / miles on used ATV...where do you draw the line?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hours / miles on used ATV...where do you draw the line?

Pretty happy with the used 2013 550 Browning edition I picked up with ~25 hours / ~300 miles.

Been searching Craigslist for a second for the wife. Seeing used ATVs with 1,000 to 3,000 miles on the odometer.

At what point do you draw the line and say, "nope, that's too many miles for a used ATV"?

Of course I would drive and look over any ATV before purchasing.

Thanks, Daubs

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Condition means more than hrs or mileage. You can have a machine with a lot of miles and hrs that spent most of its time on dry easy trails that could still look brand new. I've seen some a few months old that even I wouldn't want. All depends on how they're maintained and treated. Plus anytime you buy a used machine expect the unexpected on repairs and service. Same as with any used machine whether it's a car,truck,whatever.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

One mile on a hill Billy mud run is worst then 100 miles of a person out bird hunting on a autumn trail.

I just look at them, it's hard to hide a ATV that was not taken care of.
A short test ride also helps, it is very hard to hide broken.

If there is no place to ride at least check if the gears all work and brakes. Also let it idle for 10-15 minutes while you chatting with the owner to see if it has a over heating issue.

I,m one my 5th used ATV in 16 years and never bought a bad one yet, knock on wood.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I decided that when I bought my current atv, 1500 miles was my limit. It had 1335 miles on it. The last one had around 3000 miles on it when I bought it. I got a good deal on it, or so I thought. It wasn't in the shape I thought it was, and I parted with it after less than a year. I did get almost what I paid for it when i traded it in but I ended up fixing a lot of things on it. Condtion means a lot. Also, your gut feeling is usually right too. I went against it a bit last time and it cost me. My gut felt much better about the Brute Force though. A lot of the time, a quad with a lot of modifications will usually get more abuse too. A relocated radiator or snorkel is almost always a red flag to me unless its a factory setup like the Mudpro or XMR. I would think a nice Sportsman 500 efi would be perfect for your wife. More than adequate power and a reliable machine. If she really wants eps(as I think you mentioned before), it never had it though. A Sportsman 570 would be the obvious choice for eps. The 570 is probably going to be the best value in a used 4x4 utility quad with low miles and eps, regardless of what brand it is. Most of the others cost quite a bit more to get a good used quad in similar condition with eps.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:51 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I also look at the owners.

When I pull in some trailer park with a teenager with his ball cap on backwards and telling me how many swamps he licked that his friends could not with his ATV ,I run.

When I see a old guy with a manicured house and yard telling me how he and his wife like to trail ride to see nature or use it around the cottage, then I very much stay for the deal.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC

When I pull in some trailer park with a teenager with his ball cap on backwards and telling me how many swamps he licked that his friends could not with his ATV ,I run.

When I see a old guy with a manicured house and yard telling me how he and his wife like to trail ride to see nature or use it around the cottage, then I very much stay for the deal.
Yeah, generally the older the owner, the better cared for the machine was. And the less dumb stuff they tried to do with it.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Trailblazer

Great feedback. THANKS!

Agree that snorkels, lift kits, over-sized tires, heavy modifications = RUN away!

I've been quoted $6,900 out the door for new base model 570 with EPS, add in 7% NE sales tax and winch, and inching close to $8k. Budget is $7k max.

Looking primarily at the used market right now, gets me 550 in XP chassis (dual a-arm, EBS / ADC, digital instruments, some with winch).

I'm seeing following on Craigslist now (always room to haggle on price):
2013 Sportsman 550 EPS XP w/ winch, 1688 miles = asking $6,195
2011 Sportsman 550 EPS LE w/ winch, 2000 miles / 209 hours = $5,495
2010 Sportsman 550 EPS XP w/o winch, 1138 miles = $5,195 (add $400 winch)

Did find a 2013 Sportsman 850 Browning Edition with 3000 miles, he's asking $6,500. I might have to take a test drive. https://omaha.craigslist.org/snw/5665194104.html

I'm in no hurry to purchase.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC

this is very true!

Old 07-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by TLC

Couldn't agree more!

I'm the guy who keeps his vehicles clean and maintained. I document / track every fuel up, every bit of maintenance, keep all receipts.

And when it comes time to sell my used trucks and cars, I frequently get asking price, or very close to that.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you are considering buying new, the 2016 Sportsman 450HO which has the detuned 570 engine(32hp vs 45 hp) is available with EPS now. A little less expensive than the Sportsman 570. I think the biggest difference in the 2 is that the 450HO has a much lower top speed. The 570 tops out at around 65 mph while the 450HO with less hp tops out at around 52 mph from what I have seen. For trail riding, its unlikely you'd ever need to go that fast anyway.

Quick Reply: Hours / miles on used ATV...where do you draw the line?