Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dealer issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-1999, 09:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling this is going to be reacted to as a "see I told you about Polaris reliability", but would apprectiate only responses that are helpful and informative.

I recently had my Scrambler 400 to the dealer because the left front cv boot tore. I had noticed a noise in the left front, kind of a clicking, when the wheel was jacked up and spinning. I noticed this when putting tire sealant in the tire. The right side did not make the noise, so I told the dealer about it and he said he would check it. After the boot was replaced he called and said it would be $95 bucks. I told him it was still under warranty(as I bought it from another dealer), he said it was impact damage, he found the left front rim had impacted something and had bent the rim in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch(probably why the tire was slowly leaking air). I said I don't think that the impact would cause a rubber boot to tear, but I didnt' press the issue. He said they checked the noise and it was the brake pads, when you spun the wheel, hit the brakes, the noise stopped. Okay, pay him, go home.

So, today I'm out riding and I notice that whenever I back up, the left front wheel locks up. I do not have it in AWD, so I'm bewildered. I then hit the brakes while going about 20 mph and I hear this gosh awful sound from the left front wheel. We stop and look and find the caliper has only 1 bolt holding it to the strut and the other one is loose. We tighten it as best we can, with only a warrior tool kit pliers, and it drives okay, but every time I hit the brakes I get this awful noise. So I drive all day using the rear only, what fun!

It gets better. We get to some mud, and while spinning through it with the AWD switch OFF, I notice the left front tire is spinning and kicking up mud. I back up thinking I bumped the switch, and when I start spinning the rear, the left front starts spinning again. Only the left front engages, not the right. We were pretty much done for the day, so we drove home. On the way we were on some blacktop, and this thing kept pulling to the left. I figure the hub was engaging again. When I do put it into AWD then both the front hubs engage, so it tells me the system is working.

I am calling the dealer and asking him if this too will be considered " impact damage" and if so, will rip this thing apart myself. Any help as to what may be going on here. I know there are some pretty knowledgeable people on this forum.

Thanks, MIke

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-03-1999, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

The Hub has been re-assembled incorrectly causing the hub to remain engaged all the time they should correct the problem with the brake and the hub at no charge if they don,t they are one sorry dealership and you need to post their name and location on here for everyone to see. For more info on your problem see Willie B,s topic "True 4wheel drive problems" on page 2 of the Polaris topics the numbers for the pages are at the bottom of the page just click on page 2.
------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

[This message has been edited by Kagey (edited 10-03-1999).]

Old 10-03-1999, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

That doesn't sound good at all. Like Kagey said, I bet when they reassembled the hub (why did they take it apart!?) they didn't set everything right.

I have to agree that it is impact damage. I have seen boots tear on a 1st day ride because someone hits the sticks and puntures them, or like our '87 Suzuki, which has only torn 1 boot it's whole life.

Next time repalce the boot yourself. It's incredibly cheap to buy the parts, and not too difficult to do if you have any mechanical knowlage at all.

I know you were mainly talking about the dealer problem, sorry I got off track.

Old 10-03-1999, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

Kagey and Quad Man,

I don't mind paying if I did it, hence the no arguing over the boot. I can't prove I didn't tear it, he can't prove I did. I know this, the boot was one the dealer put on after an insurance claim and only had about 30 miles on it.
My problem is with the clicking noise I told the dealer about. I have a feeling that noise is related to my problem now, but the dealer is again going to claim "impact" damage. I just don't get it, under most factory warranties, if a dealer works on a product, the manufacturer reimburses the dealership as long as the warranty is in effect. That is why I don't understand the dealer's willingness to make me pay, since I've bought other equipment and accessories from him. I also am looking at buying a new or used sled from him and this doesn't seem to count for anything. Maybe I'm missing something about how Polaris' warranty works?

P.S. I've worked in the service industry for 10 years, for one of the top 100 companies in the world, and know how a "good" warranty works. Even if the damage is questionable, unless the manufacturer can prove it is directly caused by improper use or negligence, they usually fix it. I doubt if anything I've done qualifies as improper use or negligence for a vehicle called an "off road vehicle only". How can driving it off road qualify as improper use or negligence. No, I haven't contacted the dealer yet, but my guess is it will be "impact damage".

Later, mike

------------------
Mike...99 Scrambler 400, 94 Kawasaki Bayou 400(newly rebuilt), 99 Impuls 50(Matt's)

Old 10-04-1999, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Mike I understand your frustration,but must agree that would be hard to push damage as warranty.Had bad experience with one dealer here close,would drive hundred miles to keep from giveing him a nickel.They have thier ways of dealing with polaris,besides it didn't cost him much to repair boot.The public relations would have been worth more than $95.00.Now look at you your p-oed and will tell everyone!!!!How much did that money cost him.

Later COB

Old 10-04-1999, 01:16 AM
Range Rover

I hear so many complaints about Polaris dealers and warranty problems on this web page. There definately IS a problem. People from all over the USA are posting their problems here for us all to read, so we know it is not just one or two mom and pop dealers. Seems to me that maybe there is more
to this problem than we first see. Why are there so many angry Polaris owners? Now I know there are way more happy owners than upset ones, however this seems to be a big problem.

Is there a possibilty that Polaris offers some sort of incentive program to it's dealers? If your warranty repairs are under a certain preset quota every year you get kick backs? In the form of factory purchasing credits or larger parts discounts?

This is all merely speculation of course but it seems to me there is some sort of problem between some (not all) Polaris dealerships and the folks who actually work at Polaris.
Maybe warranty work is poorly covered by Polaris and the local dealer ends up eating most of the costs. I know how warranty works, trust me. These bloody dealers can make it work in favour of the "BIG CUSTOMERS" who buy
a few new quads every year for business use.
Another point to consider is Polaris limits the amount of labour time to repair ATV's.
For example if for instance the dealer covered the costs to repair your damaged CV Boot under warranty the following list below is a general break down of what Polaris might
repay the dealer.

Actual Costs:
Labour 4.5 hours @ 45.00 per hour=$202.50
Parts $120.00 (list price)
Total:$322.50

Warranty Recovery:
Labour 2.5 hours @ 45.00 per hour=112.50
Parts $65.00 (cost)
Total:$177.50

Quite a difference in price see? Polaris tells the dealer that it only takes 2.5 hrs and that's all they'll pay!In actual fact it takes the mechanic 4.5 hrs. The dealer installs new parts and Polaris will only repay then the actual cost of the parts.
As you can easily see the dealer wants you not Polaris to pay for the repairs. They make way more money off you than when they submit warranty repairs.
Can you see why the dealer wants you to pay for the costs? Seems pretty simple to me.

Just something for you to stew on. I personally do all my own maintenance and repairs. However this knowledge was gained from years of working on and completely rebuilding dirt-bikes. Maintenance is not for everyone, some of you need dealers to repair your ATV's. We just want to be treated fairly!

Keith

Old 10-04-1999, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

Keith you have a good point.But look at the post your dealing with,almost double Honda,21/2times yamaha.The rest aren't even close.Have dealer here that takes good care of me.Have one 40 miles away that will stickl it to ya in a minute.They are the biggest dealer in Colorado.But I don't go close to them.It's just the way they do bussiness,doesn't have anything to do with polaris.Am sure there are things that go on behind the scenes,thats only bussiness.

Later cob

Old 10-04-1999, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Must also say my local dealer is great. They go above the call of duty to satisfy the customer esspecially with warranty service. They even warrantied something on my 425 (that I must confess I broke ) a month after the warranty expired. They are just that type of dealer they have a very large buisness because of the way they treat the customer.(Top 100 Dealer) If all were like them we,d all be better off. I,m sure their repeat customers are many as I have never heard anyone do anything but compliment the way they do buisness.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500