Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New to me 2000 Sportsman 500 No tranny fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2000 Sportsman 500 No tranny fluid???

I recently rescued a 2000 Sportsman 500 from a neglectful PO, I bought it cheap as a winter project to use around our farm. It was not running. I washed it to see what I am dealing with as it was filthy and then started checking fluids and found zero oil on the dipstick to the trans.

Are these known to leak out? I will admit this ATV didn't look like it was well taken care of by the previous owner at all but I figured it would be worth a chance to refurb it as I got it really cheap. He parked it when the bendix came apart and busted the pull start case so he parked it for 2+ years. I have a new bendix and a used good case so I am going to start cleaning it up and putting it back together and will lube and change all the fluids to see what I am working with.

One thing to NOTE: When I washed it there was a oily dirt all over the left (Clutch cover side) of the machine. I don't think he ever washed this machine so it could be normal grime and dirt but with the missing trans fluid I figured I would mention it.

Advice???

Old 08-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No known to leak or use that much fluid,but again depends on how it's treated and this one looks severely neglected. Several seals on this gear case. Look at #1,#5 and #27.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse I'd just fill it up,get it running and see how it does. Plus always get a manual so you're no working blind.http://visit.tradebit.com/visit.php/...75/264163430/9

Old 08-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer

are there any free manuals online?

Toro has them for their equipment right on their website

Is it possible to download just the owner's manual? I got an addition to the owner's manual off their website

Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Maybe a few free sites left,haven't looked that much. Just google service manual for your model and check. Here's a couple places are reasonable. One site for 5 bucks if a 2002 or later.Polaris ATV Service Manuals PDF Download One site that has more for 10 bucks.DOWNLOAD Polaris ATV Service Manuals By Model & Year Plus some random free service manuals that pop up. Don't know if they're ok or not..Index of /service-manuals/polaris Plus not even sure if the Polaris site works any more for owners manuals.Download Owners Manuals - By Vehicle Type

Old 08-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks.

I have the service manual downloaded. I was going to print it, but 500 some pages seemed a bit much for printing.

I couldn't get anywhere on the owners manual. Haven't found one to buy or download

Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most people just print out a few pages on the area they're working on with pdf manuals. Better than burning up a printer.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a condensed owners manual on the Polaris website , it even has the wiring diagram .
Download Owners Manuals - By Vehicle Type

Old 08-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

What I do is download the manuals onto a thumb drive then if your computer ever craps out you still have the manual. I can open the manual from my thumb drive and just print out the pages I need when I need them. Then I hole punch those pages and save them in a loose leaf notebook for future reference.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you much

Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

What does my 2001 Polaris take for an oil filter and oil?

Mine needs the oil changed.

Quick Reply: New to me 2000 Sportsman 500 No tranny fluid???