Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Overheating Driving Me Bonkers

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I took the unit apart, some of the screws were pretty fused on from rust and years of use! Anyway, I took a picture of the radiator (attached). It didn't look bad so I put it back just the way it was.

Okay, so maybe I cleaned it up and put it back in! Also gave me time to replace some of the bolts that were taken from a variety of sources and some had lock washers and some had lock nuts and some were all bent...

Really hoping the cleaning will make a difference.

Attached Thumbnails Overheating Driving Me Bonkers-radiator.jpg  
Old 09-21-2016, 07:52 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That's one of the dirtiest radiators I've ever seen.. No way air could circulate through it.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider

now thats a dirty rad.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:32 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks. Now I'm gonna see if I can get a new thermostat...just replace it while I have half the ATV apart. I don't think I am having a thermostat issue.

I mean, I once spent 4 hours tracking down an electrical issue that turned out to be the kill switch was on....

I really think with the radiator cleaned up, I should see a pretty good difference. Wish it was easier to get the radiator out, I would prob clean it once a year, just to be sure. We ride in a lot of dirt, dust, and sometimes mud.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Zephead98
Now I'm gonna see if I can get a new thermostat.

I would prob clean it once a year, just to be sure. We ride in a lot of dirt, dust, and sometimes mud.
You can test the thermostat by dropping it in hot water. Should open up. Usually they're not a problem. On the cleaning once a year thing,I'd wash the radiator out every time you played in the mud and then you shouldn't have over heating problems..

Old 09-21-2016, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you test the new thermostat as suggested by OPT...I've had my share of DOAs...

Old 09-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

It's amazing how clean we "think" it is until you actually take it completely apart. I think you will have your problem solved after the good cleaning.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks everyone! I ran it last night with the radiator cap off, and eventually the fluid just started gushing out of the top...so I don't know if that means all the air is out or what...

I re-topped it off and went tearing around, and I noticed the coolant jug went from half to empty. So I may need to top off again. I didn't see any leaks.

Was interesting, during my tearing around, I still have a lot of plastic off the machine, and when the fan came on I stuck my hand in front of the radiator and WOW was there some air coming through that!!

Old 09-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Finish the bleeding by jacking the front end up with the tires off the ground a few inches. Let the fan cycle on and off several times. This should remove the remainder of trapped air. Amazing how much air the fan can draw through the radiator if it's not blocked with mud and dirt..

Old 09-23-2016, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer

So my son and one of his friends took her out and before they went I noticed the recovery jug was empty. So I topped it off to "Min Cold" or whatever that line is.

When they brought it back, it was empty again, so I am thinking it is still losing fluid. The overheat light did not come on. They had been riding for an hour, and when they came back the radiator cap was barely warm.

I will do some more tinkering, but think I may have a leak somewhere. But it seems like the radiator cap should have been very hot, shouldn't it??

Quick Reply: Overheating Driving Me Bonkers