Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Water pump seals

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump seals

I noticed on my 2007 sportsman 500 that I have some oil dripping from the weep hole on the water pump. I know there is the mechanical seal on the water side and a rubber seal for the oil side. I pressure tested the cooling system at 10 psi and didn't have any leaks so the water seal is doing its job and I don't have any oil getting in the coolant or vice versa. Is it common for the oil seal to leak? I know to change the seal, I have to replace both. I looked in the service manual and it shows a special tool to pull the mechanical seal and something about taking the side plate off to remove the oil seal. I looked online and have seen people do these jobs without the special tool with a simple steering wheel puller and some screws. Can that be done? I can buy the water pump kit with the gasket and seals and it comes with the pvc tool to install the seal. If I can change the seals without splitting the motor and just going through the water pump housing, it would make this job easier and I know it won't be the last one I do because I own another 500 that will eventually need a water pump some time.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-31-2016, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Not normal for the oil seal to leak. DON'T use the pliers and screw method that some have done to keep from using the special puller or you take a chance on bending the combination oil pump/water pump shaft! Then the engine has to be torn apart to replace this shaft!! I've had to do several and it's not fun. Either get the correct water pump seal puller or strip it down far enough on the water pump area and let a dealer pull the w/p seal and replace it and the oil seal. Shouldn't cost that much if you button up the job and bleed the system at home. There is no outer cover on the 500 to pull like the 600/700/800 atvs have that makes seal replacement easier. The seal kits on line just use a pvc pipe milled down for water pump seal installation. You can make your own if you so wished or use a deep socket that fits the seal and clears the shaft. Some dealers may even let you borrow the tool as this guy found out..2011 Ranger 500 oil leaking from small hose under motor If you want to buy one.. Water Pump Mechanical Seal Puller

Old 11-01-2016, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

That tool looks almost like a blind bearing puller. I wonder if one of those could do the same job. At the price, it really is cheaper to buy the correct puller than a blind bearing puller off of one of those pesky big white tool trucks that stop at my shop every week, lol. I might just buy the tool, after close to 30 years in the automotive trade, I have a tool box full of special tools I may only use once in a blue moon and they sure cost a lot more than 110 dollars....

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-01-2016, 07:32 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Sort of like that. What the tool does is the main puller body pulls the center portion of the seal out first.Just like it's pictured with the seal inserted. You then insert the legs into the tool housing,stick them down into the open part of the seal and tighten the allen screws which spreads the legs open and grips each side of the seal.Tighten the t handle down and out pops the seal. No damage to the shaft this way.

Attached Thumbnails Water pump seals-polaris-500-002-small-.jpg  
Old 11-01-2016, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

Will this work on all 4 stroke polaris models like the 425, 600, 700, etc? You are right, experience with the right tool is better than being cheap in a job and potentially screwing something up. If this fits other models it would be a good investment for me and would pay for itself pretty quickly.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The tool was designed for the 425 and 500 machines before the 600/700/800 ever came out.On these models the outer cover is removed and the oil seal is popped out and the water pump seal knocked out from behind.Install the new seals and place the cover back on. If the tool would have worked I'm sure they would have mentioned it in the manuals.Plus the twins water pump seal is a slightly different design.

"Due to seal design and construction, seals MUST be
installed DRY (no lubricant) during assembly. Use of
lubricants (oil, soapy water, etc.) will not allow the seal
to wear-in and seal properly. Do not touch seal
surface or allow seal surface to come in contact with
contaminates during installation. Thoroughly clean
parts, tools and hands before installation.
NOTE: To remove the water pump seal, the gear/
stator housing MUST be removed. The water pump
seal cannot be removed or installed with the gear/
stator housing attached to the engine. Shaft damage
will occur.
NOTE: Install the water pump seal with the seal
lip facing out (towards the crankcase)."

Of course there are detailed pics of people using screw drivers,pliers and picks and other short cuts on removing seals to keep from removing this cover. A lot of these type people are the ones that have drug their machines into the shop with bent water pump shafts for me to replace..

Old 11-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

I didn't realize the case came off on the twin, probably since I have never dealt with any of those. For the life of me I can't understand why someone would chance bending the shaft if it was accessible from behind so it can be tapped out. As for the 500, if it means getting a puller, then thats the way it needs to be done. Fortunately, I won't have to change this one on the 2007 because I just had someone offer me some money for it and they intend to replace the seals themselves. I think I will go back to my old carb models for tinkering when it comes to these machines. Far to much stuff to go wrong on these efi models that I care to get into. I just finished a service job on a 2004 sportsman 500 this weekend that need a carb rebuild, fuel shut off valve, spark plug and all the fluids and filters and it was rather enjoyable to work on compared to the nerve wracking electronics of the 2007 I had. I may just buy the puller to have because my wife has a 2000 sportsman 500 and I have a few older 500 and 425 models that I could buy for projects and I am sure I will run into a water pump leak sooner or later.

Thanks for your wisdom OPT!
Mike

Old 11-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by cornermike

compared to the nerve wracking electronics of the 2007 I had.

Mike
Another reason that I'm glad I'm retired..Let the younger guys deal with the efi nightmares now..