Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1990 trail boss 350L recoil rope

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 trail boss 350L recoil rope

Picked up a 1990 trail boss 350L yesterday from an older lady that bought it new. Starter is out and she had the grandson put it up for sale but someone came to look at it and pulled the recoil too hard and broke the rope. Brought it home and I am in the process of pulling the starter to rebuild so I have electric start, but how do I go about rewinding the recoil. My manual is kind of vague when it comes to the 350. It looks similar to the 250 recoil and nothing like the 400 recoil. Do I have to pull the while flywheel cover off to rewind it or can I just take the black recoil cover off and get it from there?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-15-2016, 01:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If the spring isn't broken only the rope,thread in a new rope though the outer recoil cover to the pulley and wrap the rope clockwise until the rope handle is flush with the outer cover.Push the cover against the main housing,turn until all slack is removed.Turn the outer cover clockwise 3-4 turns to prewind,align the 4 bolt holes and secure the cover.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

I didn't realize it would be that easy to rewind the spring. I'm used to the old Briggs and Stratton engines that were a pain to get the spring wound up on. This one just broke the rope so I have a new one for it. I also bought a starter brush plate kit so the electric start works and I wont have to need the recoil, but it's nice to have both working, lol.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 11-15-2016, 10:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Hopefully the brush kit will hold up. If it doesn't here's a couple cheap alternatives. Amazon has one that's either new or completely rebuilt with Mitsuba oem parts.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...MzKP4msKNQT5Ow Db electric has a cheap one also.https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...101-18331.html

Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

Those are pretty reasonably priced. All of the parts stores around here have polaris starters for about a hundred bucks. The local atv place I get my parts and machine work done at sells kits that include the brush plate, bearing and seals to make one like new again. I figure I will always have a rebuilt starter laying around because all the 250, 300, 350 and 400's I buy always seem to need a starter when I get them. They hold up well so far and I kinda like rebuilding them too. I sent my daughters boyfriend up to the atv place today to pick up the parts I need to finish the trail boss so I should have another two stroke running around this weekend, lol.

Thanks,
Mike