Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question

I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with. I am doing an engine rebuild on said ATV that I took apart 2 years ago and finally got around to fixing, balance shaft went out, replaced it and oil pump gear along with all the bearings and seals, needed a new crankshaft gear as well because of the damage caused by bearing debris. I am at the stage where I am putting everything back together. I have the two bottom halves put together with the crankshaft and both crank seals. There is two collars that go on the magneto side of the crank, I know one goes on the outside of the crank gear in the sequence (Gear, spacer, o-ring, collar with groove facing o-ring) but my problem is on the inner side of the crank gear. There is the other collar and o-ring that go on that side, what sequence would those go in? because they would be pressed up against the crankshaft bearing on one side and the crankshaft gear on the other. does the o-ring go against the crankshaft gear or against the bearing? I am almost thinking it goes against the bearing because the slit in the gear for the woodruff key would destroy the o-ring. Or am I missing another spacer that should be on the inside as well? The picture shows how I think it goes and the other picture shows how the sequence would be on the outer assembly. And the last picture shows the groove on the collar for the o-ring.
97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question-inner.jpg

97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question-outer.jpg

97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question-collar.jpg

Old 11-15-2016, 01:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

See if this helps. O-rings are #11.

Attached Thumbnails 97 Sport 400L Engine Rebuild Question-index.png  
Old 11-15-2016, 08:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oh. Hello! Stupid me, I've looked at that picture numerous times. And every time I looked at it, I missed the bottom part where 11 & 12 show up for the second time. I guess I just needed a breather and a little assistance. Thanks for the guidance OPT.
Do you have a tip on how to get the collar over the crankshaft? It seems like a very tight fit and once I get past the threads it seizes up if it's not in perfectly straight

Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just make sure the collar is smooth on the inside. Yes they're a tight fit. I always used a punch around the collar to seat it.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great. Thanks for the help. I will do just that and maybe lube it up a little to help it slide