Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Xplorer 250 oil pump question

Old 11-21-2016, 12:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Xplorer 250 oil pump question

Just did a top end on a 2000 Xplorer 250. I premixed the first gallon so I could check the oil pump. At idle it fills the tube and drips very very slowly. When I rev it up and hold the lever open the oil runs out very slowly. I checked, and it does make pressure when I hold the lever up, but it doesn't really seem to at idle. Do you guys think my pump is OK? Also, what years used the plastic pump gear? Thanks for your help, Dave

Old 11-21-2016, 08:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

That's the ways it's designed. It's a variable oil pump that pumps according to engine speed.It will drip slowly at an idle and increase flow as the pump arm lifts and rpms increase.Check that the pump lift is fairly well synchronized with the throttle.It should lift at the same time as the throttle is pushed. If there is a lapse on the pump lift you can adjust the pump to kick in quicker by loosening the 10mm lock nut and threading the adjuster out a little. Pulling the pump lever up along with premixing the first tank is what we did straight out of the crate or when an engine was rebuilt. All the 250 engines had the metal pump drive gear. First couple years on the 300 engines Fugi did go a little cheap on the teflon gear,but were soon replaced with the same metal drive the 250 engines had.