Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bronco shock part #au-04400 won't fit my 96 500 sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bronco shock part #au-04400 won't fit my 96 500 sportsman

I just bought the Bronco brand, part number au-04400 front shocks for my 1996 Sportsman 500, and they dont fit! They are to large to fit in the strut. I double checked the part number on the Bronco atv websight and that is the right part number for the 96 Sportsman 500. They are supposed to be a factory replacement, with a heavier duty spring, according to the part number interchange. Has anyone else here bought these for their Polaris to find out they dont fit? This part number interchanges with many Polaris models, not just the 500 sportsman. The old Sach's on my machine are worn out.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

One thing I've found is that even with the two strut pinch bolts loose, had some problems even on the old Sachs shocks sliding in the strut.This scares some people but if the bottom diameter is the same or very close to the Sachs,use a pry bar and "gently" open the strut a tad at the top and the Bronco should should slide in.You may have to use the pry bar a little lower also so the shock can bottom out.Then you can tighten the pinch bolts. Shocks are meant to be snug in the strut. If the diameter difference wont even allow it to be inserted even with the strut open a tad,then send them back and explain what's happening. Possible that they may have sent the wrong size. Plus WSM and Kimpex makes the 32mm shock also that is supposed to interchange with the latest Polaris part #2201460.2201460 Polaris | eBay You can also google this part number for oem and other replacement shocks.https://www.google.com/search?q=2201...utf-8&oe=utf-8 Hopefully you can get the Broncos to work.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply OPT. I sent a email to the Bronco company early this morning with the problem I am having. To see if they have had any other customer complaints about the au-04400 shocks not fitting Polaris atv's. I'm waiting to see if I hear a reply from them or not.
I have a question about the SACHS shocks. How much force should it take to push the shaft down inside the shock? I have 3 of the SACHS shocks here. 2 of them I can push the shaft inside the shock housing, by hand, with hardly any resistance, and they wont rebound at all. That tells me they are shot . With the other SACHS it is the same, except that one will rebound back to ride height very slowly.
With the new Bronco shocks i bought, the shaft wont move at all unless I put all my body weight on them (260lbs). And they rebound right away. Are the SACHS supposed to be that "soft"?

Old 11-22-2016, 01:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
Are the SACHS supposed to be that "soft"?
Nope they're just worn out.