Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 High Idle Problem

Old 11-27-2016, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 High Idle Problem

Hello. My 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 was running fine until about a year ago. No spark, has sat in my garage until now. I finally got around to spending the $500 on the Kokasun Ignition replacement kit. Installed and started up fine on first try. Very easy to install, instructions and video on YouTube helped.

Engine started and running fine, but higher RPM at idle than normal (too high so you can't shift into gear). I let engine run for 10 min before trying to make carb adjustment with idle screw located under carb. Turned one way and idle RPM went higher so I turned opposite way until idle screw was almost completely out and the RPM never decreased.

Any ideas or suggestions? I hate taking carb off and tearing apart to clean as it always seems like on other engines I do that to they never run the same again. I always use non oxygenated gas with Sea Foam so not really worried about gel up in carb.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Common problem is this is cable binding. Go through this procedure, check that the cable is free and not binding at the carb or towards the throttle with the main emphasis on the cable running around the front of the machine and where it curves around going to the carb.Lower the carb adjuster first then check/adjust to where you have no more than 1/8" free play at the throttle lever. Cable adjuster is down from the throttle housing. Crank it up and then you should be able to adjust the idle at the carb to a good steady idle.