Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Speedometer Drive Issues ('94 400 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 11:51 AM
Just some guy from Texas.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer Drive Issues ('94 400 4x4)

Trying to sort this out, but not having any luck.

My '94 Sportsman 400 has an inoperable speedometer (again).

Just like the last two times I've fixed it, the short drive adapter cable in the transmission is to blame. It was broken when I got it, I fixed it, it broke again, I fixed it again, and now it's broken once more! Everything is free. The speedo works, the cable spins, hooking a drill to the cable will make the speedo work, etc... Since the drive adapter seems to be free also, I'm leaning towards something on the bike being the issue???

I'm getting tired of replacing this cable. It's a pain to get to! I'm tempted to replace the OEM set up with one of those cheap LCD speedos just so I don't have to mess with the cable...

Does anyone have any suggestions on other things to check? (And do you know of a simpler way to get the drive in and out??)

Old 12-17-2016, 12:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Make sure you don't have the speedo cable kinked at the top. This can cause binding and snap the small adapter key or the cable itself. The keys were the worst problem,but if the cable spins freely along with the speedo,the adapter spins freely,then may be that key isn't being inserted in to the adapter correctly or the bushing is worn. You don't have too much room to play with down there to begin with on installing this key.Again check that the speedo drive bushing in the gear case hasn't rounded out. May be as simple as that. The keys did wear out or break over time,but nothing like what you've gone through. 1994 Polaris SPORTSMAN 4X4 (W948039) Steering Handlebar Sportsman 4X4 W948040 | Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 12-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Having had this thing torn apart recently, I know for sure the cable is not kinked. Also, attaching a drill to the cable will spin the speedometer without issue, so I do not believe the cable is the issue.

The bushing you're referring to is item #26, I assume?

You're right on not having any room. It's a PITA. The key has to be partially inserted and bent slightly to install it. Could that be causing an issue? If so, how do you avoid that? Remove the transmission??

Old 12-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Here's a suggestion, get a Trail Tech Voyager. I put one on my Arctic Cat 500. Screws on in place of the stock speedo, but has GPS speedo, wheel sensor speedo, Tach, water temp, ambient temp, volt meter, odo, clock, and about a gazillion gps functions. Check out the cheaper Vapor, as well.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes #26 was what I was referring to. How I did it was have the speedo cable off the adapter,partially insert the key in the case bushing,spin the adapter with a small screw driver until the key slid in and then push the whole thing against the gear case. Everyone has a different way of tackling this little key. Some would insert the key into the adapter and rotate it until the key line up with the bushing then turned the adapter to fit over the studs.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:13 PM

I removed the current bushing and it is not worn out. (There are left-hand threads on the bushing, FYI.) The key engages just fine. I also re-tested everything using a drill. It all works as it should. I went ahead and lubed it all again while I was in there...

I used a method similar to yourself to insert the key that last time. It seemed to be about the most effective. Could this be an alignment issue? Maybe I didn't get the cover put on just right?

Old 12-17-2016, 01:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Simcik

I used a method similar to yourself to insert the key that last time. It seemed to be about the most effective. Could this be an alignment issue? Maybe I didn't get the cover put on just right?
Could be that plus check that the rubber dampener seal in the adapter is still in good shape also. It's a simple drive system if everything is in good condition.

Old 12-17-2016, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by hydrex
Here's a suggestion, get a Trail Tech Voyager. I put one on my Arctic Cat 500. Screws on in place of the stock speedo, but has GPS speedo, wheel sensor speedo, Tach, water temp, ambient temp, volt meter, odo, clock, and about a gazillion gps functions. Check out the cheaper Vapor, as well.
I have looked at those - very nice, indeed. The Vapor would do everything I'd need and then some. The Endurance would work, even.

To be honest though, I'd probably just get something like this: Universal LCD Digital Backlight Motorcycle Odometer Speedometer Tachometer Gauge | eBay

It's cheap, it looks half-way decent, and it's probably going to work about as well as this cable! But seriously, on this older quad, I've got no fuel gauge, no tach, etc. I do have a neutral and reverse indicator, a temp sensor, and an oil sensor, but I'd have to splice into all of these things, since there's no "harness" kit to use to tie into everything and many systems aren't "monitored" or "signalled" anyway. Not much sense in getting a top-of-the-line gauge if I can't use half of it...

Old 12-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Could be that plus check that the rubber dampener seal in the adapter is still in good shape also. It's a simple drive system if everything is in good condition.
It's intact, but I can't tell how effective it is. I have one more key, so I'll lube the hell out and everything, take my time aligning it, and give it another shot. (And then I'll go order more keys... )

Old 12-17-2016, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wish you luck..