Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 Sportsman 500 loud banging in front strut when hitting large bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Sportsman 500 loud banging in front strut when hitting large bumps

This is now happening on both the front struts. The banging occurs separately, on the side that hits a bump. I am in the process of replacing both shocks, but am wondering how the banging is occurring. One of the shocks is bad (slides about 2 inches with no resistance). The other seems to be fine, so I don't think changing the shocks will help.
I did notice that the rubber bumpers that are installed at the top of the shock around the shocks shaft are not inserted so they stay above the spring. Would this keep the spring from banging against the metal spring retainer. Could this be the problem? I attached a photo of the spring with the bumper pushed into the top ring of the spring. However, I believe hitting a large bump would simply slide the spring over the bumper and the spring will still hit the metal spring retainer.
Thanks for any thoughts about the banging or ideas on proper install of the rubber shock bumper into the spring.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Sportsman 500 loud banging in front strut when hitting large bumps-spring.jpg  
Old 12-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Banging because you've probably lost either the upper or lower plastic pivot ***** on each strut. They can crack over time and just slide out.Found plenty of machines that did this. Items #20,24.1998 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (W98CH50A) Front Strut | Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus the strut cartridges are original they are probably blown too which adds to it.Time to rebuild the struts.

Old 12-21-2016, 03:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply OPT.
Both the upper and lower plastic pivot ***** are in good shape, so I am only replacing the strut cartridges (shocks) at this point.
I am attaching another photo. The right spring shows the rubber bumper shoved into the spring so it extends above the top of the spring. The left spring shows the rubber bumper just sitting inside the spring. Wondering if the metal spring should rest against the metal spring retainer or should the top of the rubber bumper be BETWEEN the top of the spring and the spring retainer?

Old 12-21-2016, 03:43 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

These have probably moved all the way to the top because the strut cartridges are worn out and so are the rubber dampeners. They've worked their way to the top of the springs,another common thing that happens even if the upper and lower pivots are still intact. Just get a new set and they come with new dampeners that you can set at the bottom. All of them will move up and down the shaft over time.

Attached Thumbnails 98 Sportsman 500 loud banging in front strut when hitting large bumps-s-l1600.jpg  
Old 12-22-2016, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks again for the info.

I'll be installing new shocks and bumpers today. I'll give an update on the banging issue.

Old 12-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be fine...had same happen to me...I believe OPT is right on...