Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

motor mount repair

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mount repair

our 1994 400L has all 3 motor mounts broken.

Can these be repaired? They are quite expensive.

Also the Polaris part is 3110038 I think, what are the aftermarket part numbers.
thanks

Old 12-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Part#s have change.3022067 and 322070 for the lower rubber mounts. They aren't cheap and can't be repaired as each big washer and stud is molded into each side of the rubber isolation block. You might check Ebay,Partzilla,Amazon for the best price.1994 Polaris 400L 4X4 (W948140) Engine Mounting 4X4 400L | Cycle Parts Warehouse as far as aftermarket mounts,haven't looked to see if they have them.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you are lucky, but having owned a 96 400 Sportsman L , that bike almost bankrupted me. Remember the game (Whack a Mole)? Every time I fixed 1 thing, 2 other things popped up. Best deal that I ever did was to sell it for $1,600. Took $1,400 and bought a 2002 Arctic Cat FIS. Love the kitties. Who ever designed that model Polaris should have been shot.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by hydrex
Maybe you are lucky, but having owned a 96 400 Sportsman L , that bike almost bankrupted me. Who ever designed that model Polaris should have been shot.
No whoever previously owned it should have been shot.They were fantastic machines and many are still running around.You just had to stay on top of maintenance and repairs and many didn't.You inherit a machine that's old to begin with and add abused on top of it and you can fall into a never ending money pit. That's the way with any brands,even more so for the 350/400 2 stroke as they have about twice as many internal parts as some 4 strokes have.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

OPT,I know, it only had 950 miles, looked great, had great brakes. The moron that had it disconnected the oil injection, I fixed it. Original tires looked good. Once I fixed everything, it was a hoot to drive. I figured out why it tried to set me on fire (exhaust was plugged with soot from running rich premix. But both of my Arctic Cats were owned by morons too. For original poster, if you can't find good mounts, maybe a machine shop could make em. I had bronze rear cradle bushings made, then it handled really tight, and I could suddenly shift into reverse. Search eBay, they have em for $24.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can get all three lower mounts for 48 bucks at Cycle Parts Ware House,maybe cheaper at Partzilla. Yes Hydrex I've also seen a lot of morons destroy a lot of machines over the years.The bigger the moron,the more the damage they can cause. And a lot of them brought the machines to me to get things right after they did all the damage and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Plus most of them never cracked open a manual or never had one to begin with.It's like the old saying: I can fix this,just hold my beer

Old 01-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider

OPT, what would you call a guy who disconnected the oil injection, because he just didn't trust it, so he went to premix- 40/1 haha, smoke much? I replaced the oil injector and drove it several miles, measured the amount of oil used/ to amount of gas used, about 70/1 using the Polaris injection oil.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Oil pumps are set at the factory at 50/1 ratio. All you have to do on a case like this is when throttle is slack,remove the oil pump cover and loosens the cable adjuster nut. Thread the cable in or out until the oil pump wheel mark aligns with the pump body mark. This is the factory setting at 50/1. Blocking off oil pumps was common on the 400 as they were exposed to water and mud and could rust up and freeze. Many premixed and I even recommended 40/1 but with a good synthetic oil. Some people just dumped oil into gas tanks thinking that was good enough. Could have been why you had an accumulation of oil in the exhaust. 40/1 shouldn't have clogged one up. You can see the oil pump adjustment in this pic. It's on the rich side as the pump wheel mark is past the barely visible oil pump body mark that it's supposed to line up with.

Attached Thumbnails motor mount repair-pos1.jpg  
Old 01-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Trailblazer

Well. This is the first ATV I have owned. got it with a blown engine.
I think the previous owner bought it new and by the looks did very little maintenance, just the basics. and put a lot of miles on it.
When we took the engine apart the cylinder was worn about 0.012 inches , which is why the piston skirt broke. The top end was well past needing to be redone.
The bearings in the bottom end are still good so we left them in, after a lot of cleaning to make sure all the metal fragments are out.

But it looks like a reliable machine to me. It certainly has survived a long time.

I'm still not happy the motor mounts are so expensive, for what they are. Of course that is the same for all the brands, not just Polaris.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:49 AM
Trailblazer

Are these the lines that should line up?

We not at this stage of reassembly yet but will be soon.

Attached Thumbnails motor mount repair-pol-oil-pump.jpg