Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 xplorer 400 4 x 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2000 xplorer 400 4 x 4

I was wondering if anyone here has had the same amount of trouble with the starter solenoid (magnetic switch) on these Polaris machines that I seem to keep having with all that I've had and presently own? Seems to me that after I let any of them sit for any length of time, (while on charge) they all have a problem starting with the starter (I get the blasted “click” with no starter engagement). Is it me or do you all have the same issues? Are there any tricks to help with this issue? Are the solenoids junk? Are there any aftermarket ones out there? Did I mention that I recently owned a 94 300 2x4 which acted the same? How about OPT, any insight...

Last edited by itsbeal; 01-24-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: wasnt ready to post
Old 01-24-2017, 05:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Solenoid is a simple switch that jumps power to the other post. Cheap ones on ebay may be ok or hit and miss as a lot of Chinese electronics are. Main thing is start from the battery first. It may show 12 volts but may drop like a rock under a load if bad.I've had new ones straight out of the box that were bad. Look at this article. https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/ho...ry-is-bad.html Also check the connections from the battery to the solenoid and to the starter. Simple corrosion can cause problems. If the starter is old,brushes worn,can cause the same clicking noise.Plus a little electrical grease around the starter nut then slip over the red cover can help cut down on corrosion. Wasn't a good idea to have the starter on the bottom of the engine to begin with.